Topics

free program like ms office

sandy

hi folks, I put in a post last week asking if anyone knew of a free program like ms office, but don’t remember any replys. does anyone know of such a program?

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

OpenOffice from the Apache Foundation will serve most of your needs. It doesn’t have an e-mail client, however.

It has a word processor, a spreadsheet program and a database system. The word processor at least works really well with JAWS. The database seems simpler than Access and it might work better from an accessibility standpoint, but I haven’t played with it much. You will need to make sure you have a java runtime environment installed on your system in order to use that part.

There’s also libreOffice, which is similar to OpenOffice (indeed, they started life as the same thing) but is updated more frequently than OpenOffice and is thus more widely used today by the general public, I think. Unfortunately there  are some accessibility issues as far as JAWS is concerned, or at least that’s been my experience so far. It seems to work better with NVDA, but if you are going to be using JFW, OpenOffice is probably your best bet.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: July 24, 2018 4:24 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] free program like ms office

hi folks, I put in a post last week asking if anyone knew of a free program like ms office, but don’t remember any replys. does anyone know of such a program?

sandy

thank you very much. I’ll check it out

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] free program like ms office

OpenOffice from the Apache Foundation will serve most of your needs. It doesn’t have an e-mail client, however.

It has a word processor, a spreadsheet program and a database system. The word processor at least works really well with JAWS. The database seems simpler than Access and it might work better from an accessibility standpoint, but I haven’t played with it much. You will need to make sure you have a java runtime environment installed on your system in order to use that part.

There’s also libreOffice, which is similar to OpenOffice (indeed, they started life as the same thing) but is updated more frequently than OpenOffice and is thus more widely used today by the general public, I think. Unfortunately there  are some accessibility issues as far as JAWS is concerned, or at least that’s been my experience so far. It seems to work better with NVDA, but if you are going to be using JFW, OpenOffice is probably your best bet.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Np.

You will find that it uses the classic standard menu bar rather than ribbons the way Microsoft’s products do now. I also think it’s more responsive (read faster) than MS Office most of the time. Unfortunately it cannot save in the new mS formats, but it can open those files so you can work with them, and then will let you save in an older mS Office format so that people using mS products will still be able to read and use your documents.

Sent: July 24, 2018 6:11 PM

thank you very much. I’ll check it out

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:33 PM

There’s also libreOffice, which is similar to OpenOffice (indeed, they started life as the same thing) but is updated more frequently than OpenOffice and is thus more widely used today by the general public, I think. Unfortunately there  are some accessibility issues as far as JAWS is concerned, or at least that’s been my experience so far. It seems to work better with NVDA, but if you are going to be using JFW, OpenOffice is probably your best bet.

Kevin

Open office, it’s free, but doesn’t have an email program

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:43 PM

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Hi,

Have you tried libreoffice or openoffice?  I am not sure how accessib,le either or are on windows as I just use office 365 home and that works fine for me.

Matthew

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 4:24 PM