From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor Gouveia
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:50 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] jaws cursor

If you come across a situation where the PC cursor, in other words, tabbing around is not giving you enough information with which to make an informed decision regarding your next move, then trying to use your Jaws cursor to obtain the necessary information does not hurt.  Using your mouse cursor to investigate the screen will not effect the screen at all, unless you press one of the mouse click keys, in other words, the star and slash at the top of your number pad, but moving the mouse cursor around the screen will not hurt your situation any, so you can feel free to experiment with the Jaws cursor all you want, as long as you do not press the star and slash keys.

Since the PC cursor only gives you information about the section of the window you are in now, for example, if you are using the PC cursor in Internet Explorer, you will see everything that is on the webpage with your PC cursor, in other words, by using your arrow keys and tabbing around.  At the same time, there are sections of the Internet Explorer window that you have to access using a different method or keystroke.

Pressing the alt key, or alt+a letter key will get you to the menu bar, or a menu on the menu bar.  Where a sighted person would simply move the mouse arrow to that part of the window to activate the menu bar or it’s menu, you have to press a keystroke to get to that area.

The Jaws cursor, in many cases, does what the mouse arrow does, including the left and right mouse button click.  It’s sort of like a seamless transition from one area of the window to another, like a sighted person has, the only difference is that you have to press a key or two to have that effect.

Hope that makes sense.

Victor