Re: jaws cursor

sandy

makes sense, if you know the page

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] jaws cursor

Often, you have to use your judgment. Is there information on the screen that you can’t get to? A button that needs to be pressed, perhaps?

Even if you don’t think so, it doesn’t ever hurt to look around the window using that cursor.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: April 22, 2019 6:03 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

ok, but what tells a person that the jaws cursor is needed?

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 4:24 PM

Sandy,

It certainly won't hurt to switch to the Jaws cursor and arrow around.

I usually start out by routing the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor.

That is done with insert + jaws key.

That pulls the Jaws cursor to the window that has focus.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 4:07 PM

with the things I’ve said to the replies, it proves to people just how confusing cursors can be. is it best to experiement with using the jaws cursor?

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 3:40 PM

I've never gotten the Jaws cursor to work on a web page.

But I've used it in applications where the PC cursor does not seem to work.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 3:28 PM

seems like you need to know what’s on a web page to know to use the jaws cursor, which doesn’t make sense to me

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 1:18 PM

This is in the JAWS help material, but, a nice way of remembering/showing how the JAWS cursor is supposed to work is that it goes where the mouse pointer can go. I don’t see many people say this, maybe because they’re not used to talking about mice, but the JAWS cursor is linked to the mouse pointer whereas the regular PC cursor is not. So, for those types of controls that tabbing around simply won’t get you to, it can be very useful, as well as reading information that is not displayed in a field you can tab to and then move your regular cursor in with arrow keys.

Sent: April 22, 2019 8:02 AM

so, in every day language, this means the jaws cursor doesn’t pick up all those groups of binary codes that are announced when on webpages, and things like that? please explain the data you mentioned

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 6:55 AM

The JAWS cursor enables you to move around a window or screen without changing any data. Sometimes it picks up information that the Pc cursor doesn’t. However, a number of us find that it has become less and less workable, although it’s always worth trying. Lately, I’m finding the touch cursor provides more information. For the record, you bring up the touch cursor with shift-PC key and exit it with two presses of the PC key.

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 7:40 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] jaws cursor

I’ve used jaws for a good while, but relatively new to this list, and would like to know why and when it’s appropriate to use the jaws cursor, and yes, I know how to switch from the PC to the Jaws cursor. win 10, jaws 2019

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.