Re: jaws cursor

JM Casey

Instances where the JAWS cursor is useful:

Dialogue boxes. Easier to use this cursor to read the contents  rather than using jaws key + b to read the entire thing and sit through a lot of useless verbosity. In most of these, arrow keys will not do anything but possibly move you to the buttons within that box – you won’t be able to read the box like you would a document.

Command prompt – JAWS cursor will read the output of whatever command. If you try to arrow up using your PC cursor, instead of reading anything, you’ll end up accessing the command history.

Unreachable buttons or tabs – many programmes have these. They’re not actually unreachable, but they’re not strictly speaking designed to be accessed with the keyboard. Normally, you would move your mouse to this area of the screen. Accessing the different tabs or the search box in soulseek or dc++ has traditionally only been doable with the jAWS cursor.

IRC – again, to read the output of a chat window, this is the best way to do it.

Sound editors – some digital effects and other types of plugins don’t have standard interfaces, so they have buttons or text in fields that just can’t be accessed by pressing tab, tab, tab.

I’m sure I can think of more. I use this cursor everyday and it’s pretty much second nature so I don’t even think about it anymore. You may not need it as much.