Re: jaws cursor

JM Casey

Yeah, at least in Firefox it doesn’t work if you have hardware acceleration turned on, which is the default setting.

It’s not really as useful on the web anyway, I find; the virtual buffer has a lot of that covered, but you might still need to use simulated mouse clicks, so routing can still be helpful.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Volk
Sent: April 22, 2019 6:50 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] jaws cursor

For me I have found that the JAWS cursor hasn’t worked on websites for a couple of years and now that I have moved to Windows 10 that many of the Windows screens doesn’t work either.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: April 22, 2019 4:28 PM

The jAWS cursor still works for me in file explorer, which is a pretty important part of Windows 10. It is pretty invaluable in command prompt or powershell, too, which I use fairly often.

But yeah, it won’t work with the so-called Universal or modern app design. Still, that’s maybe less than 10% of what I use. I really don’t think it’s time to retire the JAWS cursor, but I suppose if something even better came along….Still haven’t really used the touch cursor for much. Perhaps I just run too much legacy software on this Windows 10 machine. Haha

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Victor Gouveia
Sent: April 22, 2019 6:03 PM

Sandy, are you saying you’ve never come across a dialog box the PC cursor couldn’t read, no matter how many tabs you performed?

I’ve come across so many, I can’t even count anymore.

What I do find is that third party software will allow you to use the Jaws cursor to read the window contents, however, anything created by Microsoft does not, and recently, newer programs that are writing in the same way as Windows 10 won’t let me use the Jaws cursor either.

I think it may be time to retire the Jaws cursor, especially since it’s apparent that Freedom Scientific isn’t willing or able to fix the issue.

In any case, for now, that is, the Jaws cursor is a viable option when the PC cursor just won’t read that little bit of text you need to perform an informed option.

Victor

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 4:28 PM

seems like you need to know what’s on a web page to know to use the jaws cursor, which doesn’t make sense to me

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 1:18 PM

This is in the JAWS help material, but, a nice way of remembering/showing how the JAWS cursor is supposed to work is that it goes where the mouse pointer can go. I don’t see many people say this, maybe because they’re not used to talking about mice, but the JAWS cursor is linked to the mouse pointer whereas the regular PC cursor is not. So, for those types of controls that tabbing around simply won’t get you to, it can be very useful, as well as reading information that is not displayed in a field you can tab to and then move your regular cursor in with arrow keys.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: April 22, 2019 8:02 AM

so, in every day language, this means the jaws cursor doesn’t pick up all those groups of binary codes that are announced when on webpages, and things like that? please explain the data you mentioned

Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 6:55 AM

The JAWS cursor enables you to move around a window or screen without changing any data. Sometimes it picks up information that the Pc cursor doesn’t. However, a number of us find that it has become less and less workable, although it’s always worth trying. Lately, I’m finding the touch cursor provides more information. For the record, you bring up the touch cursor with shift-PC key and exit it with two presses of the PC key.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2019 7:40 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] jaws cursor

I’ve used jaws for a good while, but relatively new to this list, and would like to know why and when it’s appropriate to use the jaws cursor, and yes, I know how to switch from the PC to the Jaws cursor. win 10, jaws 2019

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.