Re: Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cortana

Sharon S

Hi, how about putting jaws to sleep all the time. Then when you want to use the keyboard you can turn Jaws back on. You can use the insert + space then S key this way it is quick to turn on and off.

Hope this helps.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 10:37 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cortana

Hi James,

Cortana isn't in the default applications list so, there's no way to put Jaws to sleep when running the Cortana program, unless someone knows a different way.   Sorry for putting you on a goose chase.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 10:11 PM

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cortana

Hi Mike,

I never found the word Cartana in the application list.  So, I couldn’t invoke your steps.  I may play with this later if I decide that I do not mind using a MS passwored account.

Thanks for sticking with this for us.

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 8:14 PM

Hi Anatoliy & James,

Okay, I have Cortana disabled so I can't checkit.  Did you both access the Settings Center from the Cortana program?  In order to sett the sleep mode you have to do it from within the program using the steps I posted earlier but, it can be done from outside the program as well.  It's possible that Jaws can't be put to sleep while using Cortana but, here are the steps to put Jaws to sleep without Cortana running.  Please let the list know what happens.

These are steps on how you can put Jaws into sleep mode so Jaws will sleep while running a self voicing program, or make any other changes in the Settings
Center for any program installed on your computer without the particular / target program running.  Below are steps using Openbook & putting Jaws into
sleep mode as an example.  When you shift + tab into
the application list & find the application you want, you need to tab 1 time
into the Settings Center for that application.  Pressing enter on the
application closes the Settings Center.  So, here is how I accessed the
Openbook Settings Center:
1. While in Outlook Express I pressed Insert key + 6, on the number row
above the main keyboard to open the Outlook Express Settings Center.
2. I invoked the keystroke, shift + tab, to get into the application list.
3. I pressed the letter O, until I had Openbook highlighted.
4. I tabbed 1 time into the Openbook Settings Center.
5. I Typed, sleep, into the search edit field & waited a few seconds for the
list to populate & arrowed down to Sleep Mode ..... miscellaneous.
6. Now, right here the spacebar needs to be pressed to toggle the options
until Jaws reports, sleep mode enable and unload the synthesizer.
7. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save
your changes & close.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 4:45 PM

I can’t find Cortana under list of specific applications, in the sleep mode settings. Cortana is open and JAWS settings brought up.

It would be really cool though for JAWS to quiet down when Cortana talks.

Mike are you able to put it to sleep with Cortana?

Anatoliy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cartana

Hi James,

Just for clarification, did you open the Settings Center and make the sleep mode changes while in Cortana?  I'm asking because if you were in the Cortana Settings Center JCF file no other program should have been affected.  As far as the Microsoft password goes, if I can't use my own password it ain't happenin!  LOL 

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 3:34 PM

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cartana

Mike said in part,

Jaws can be assigned to go to sleep when another program starts / runs.  Sleep mode is explained below and below that are steps on how to do it with the
target program running.

Well, I tried two times.  I accidentally put Jaws to sleep in places other than just while Carrtana was talking.  It was so bad that I couldn’t even wake Jaws up to change my settings back.  So, two times, I had to reinstall Jaws.

After taking a closer look at Carrtana, it seems like she forces the user to be linked to Bing and MS Edge.    Plus, it looks like you have to be using a MS log on password and not a local password for Carrtana to do very much.  For example, sending emails.  I am starting to think that she isn’t worth the trouble.

Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages when using a MS log on password in place of a local password?

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 1:42 PM

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interrupting me when I am trying to listen to Carrtana

Hi James,

Jaws can be assigned to go to sleep when another program starts / runs.  Sleep mode is explained below and below that are steps on how to do it with the
target program running.
Below is how Freedom Scientific explains the Sleep Mode option.
Select to enable sleep mode, and turn off JAWS processing. This is used to automatically put JAWS to sleep within certain applications that have their
own speech support, such as OpenBook.  This option is only available for specific applications and cannot be set for "Default/All Applications".

1. When you are in the application / program that you want JAWS to sleep, press, Insert / Jaws key + 6, on the number row to open Settings Center.  If
there is no JCF file for that application / program, a dialog box will appear to confirm a new JCF file is being created for this program, leave the name
as is, press ENTER, & Settings Center will open.
2. When Settings Center opens you should be in the, Edit / Search Field, so type, sleep, & wait for the search results list to populate.

3. Arrow down through the search results, & find the 1 that says, Sleep Mode disabled, press the SPACEBAR to toggle between the options which are, Disable,
Enable, & Enable & unload the synthesizer.  Choose / Highlight the, Enable & unload the synthesizer option.
Speech will take a bit longer to go back when you exit or switch focus away from the application if you select Enable and Unload the Synthesizer, but there
will be more RAM available for your program and also speech will stop immediately when you leave the program.

4. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save your change & close the Settings Center.

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 10:21 AM

So, there’s not a way to use Cartana hands free?  Do I really have to be at the keyboard to use the stupid voice activated digital assistant?

Cheers,

James B

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 12:06 PM

Hi James,

When you're going to use Cortana you can turn Jaws speech off by holding down the Jaws key and pressing the spacebar, let up on both keys and press the letter, S.  Do the same keystrokes to turn speech back on.

To: Jaws Users List

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 5:55 AM

Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws keeps interupting me when I am trying to listen to Cartana

Hi all,

Is there a way to get Jaws to hush up when Cartana is speaking?  For that matter, are screen reader users using Cartana that much?

Many thanks in advance,

James B

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.