Hi David,
that's a pity. I wonder why we seeing different behaviours. Another Windows mystery, perhaps.
David.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 06:32 PM, David Ferrin wrote:
I was using the same type of sound card, although I do have others to test with.

Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] speech in safe mode

Hi David,
My guess is that Windows allows the use of the built-in windows driver for devices which behave like usb headphones, because it's a driver which they are pretty sure will not cause any problems. This is in contrast to drivers for soundcards supplied by manufacturers, which are not used by default in safe mode.
When I tested this I was using a cheap usb soundcard adapter which does not require any additional drivers.
David.

I just tried it and had to use be my eyes to restore my system because it did not pick up my USB sound card. Word to the wise.

Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:16 AM

Hi Gerald,
concerning using Narrator in safe mode in Windows 10. Here's a Microsoft video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjzJXpCL4g

I've tested this on build 1809, using a usb soundcard adaptor with my jack headphones plugged in, and it works.
David.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

Another list member insists that it is possible to get JAWS to speak in safe mode by hacking the registry.  If anyone is intrepid enough to try this, good luck. Maybe Mike D., who always likes to try new things to screw up his computer can try this hack and report back on how well it works.   I have not seen a single report on this or any other list from anyone else who claims that they have been able to get JAWS to speak in safe mode.  And nobody has ever produced an audio demonstration of booting into safe mode with speech using JAWS or any other screen reader, for that matter.  Coincidentally, this topic was raised on another list.  Somebody claims that Narrator now speaks in safe mode in Windows 10, but somebody else claims that it doesn't work with build 1809, so who knows what to believe? And the now defunct Window Eyes allegedly offered speech in safe mode, which, if true, means that it would be at leeast theorhetically possible to modify  JAWS to speak in safe mode, also, right?

Gerald

On 3/7/2019 5:38 AM, Mich Verrier wrote:

I also would like to chime in on this topic and ask that this feature be incorporated into jaws since as some one who has not had to boot into safe mode that offen but who has had ishues with having no speech with jaws it would be nice to know in those times what is going on. From Mich.

From:        "Gerald Levy via Groups.Io" <bwaylimited@...>
To:        jaws-users-list@groups.io
Date:        06/03/2019 16:59
Subject:        Re: [jaws-users] speach in safe mode
Sent by:        jaws-users-list@groups.io

This sounds simple in principle.  Well, if getting JAWS to speak in safe
mode is as simple as tweaking the registry, then why hasn't this feature
ever been incorporated into JAWS?  Surely, modifying JAWS to tweak the
registry so that it speaks in safe mode can't be a difficult feature to
implement.  There must be more to it.  Maybe this tweak does not work on
all systems. Of course, if you attempt this tweak on your own, good
luck.  Fooling around with the registry is always risky, especially for
the technically challenged like myself. So I prefer waiting until the
software experts at Vispero figure out a way to make speech in safe mode
with JAWS a practical reality.

Gerald

On 3/6/2019 11:32 AM, Bernard Georgiou wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Please could I have a copy of the .reg file for my own use. Many thanks.
>

> Bernard
>

> On 06/03/2019 14:48, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
>> Gerald,
>> It has nothing to do with the screenreader, it's about loading the audio
>> drivers in safe mode, which normally, very few drivers are loaded in
>> safe
>> mode, for diagnostic purposes.
>> I have sent the registry file to a few already, but you can make a
>> reg file
>> by copying the below text to a .TXT file in notepad, and then save
>> it, and
>> rename the .TXT to .REG and save it, and press enter on it and it
>> will be
>> added to your registry.
>> Here's the text:
>>

>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
>>
>> @="[6cFgE][Şοûпđ, νìδ℮ô άήδ ğªмè ¢őήťřόℓŀèґš !!! !!! !]"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
>>
>> @="Portable Media Devices"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\AudioEndpointBuilder]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\Audiosrv]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HdAudAddService]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HDAudBus]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\drmkaud]
>>
>> @="Driver"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MMCSS]
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
>>
>> @="[6cFgE][Şοûпđ, νìδ℮ô άήδ ğªмè ¢őήťřόℓŀèґš !!! !!! !]"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\{640167b4-59b0-47a6-b335-a6b3c0695aea}]
>>
>> @="Portable Media Devices"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\AudioEndpointBuilder]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Audiosrv]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HdAudAddService]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HDAudBus]
>>
>> @="Service"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\drmkaud]
>>
>> @="Driver"
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MMCSS]
>> @="Service"
>>

>> end of text don't copy this line.

We will never ask for your login details, passwords, PIN or any details of your accounts or cards. If a link in an email takes you to a page asking for any of this information, or if you have any other reason to suspect an email or site might not be genuine, do not disclose any personal information and forward it to ReportPhishing@... (please note no acknowledgement will be sent). Please call or write to us if you need to refer to personal account details or other confidential information.

This e-mail is issued by a CB Group company. The contents of this e-mail are confidential and will have no contractual effect unless it is otherwise agreed between a specific CB Group company and the recipient.

The CB Group is Clydesdale Bank PLC (which is registered in Scotland at registered office 30 St Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2HL with Company No SC001111), each subsidiary or holding company of Clydesdale Bank PLC from time to time, and each subsidiary from time to time of any such holding company. For the avoidance of doubt the CB Group includes, among others, Yorkshire Bank Home Loans Limited (Company No 01855020) which is registered in England and Wales at registered office 20 Merrion Way, Leeds LS2 8NZ.

Clydesdale Bank PLC, which also trades as Yorkshire Bank, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. (Financial Services Register No. 121873).

Yorkshire Bank Home Loans Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. (Financial Services Register No. 303825)

Credit facilities other than regulated mortgages and regulated credit agreements are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The views and opinions expressed in this email may not reflect those of any member of the CB Group. If you are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to the addressee), please notify the originator immediately by return message and destroy the original message. This message and any attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving the CB Group network. However, CB Group does not guarantee the security of this message and will not be responsible for any damages arising as a result of any virus being passed on or arising from any alteration of this message by a third party. The CB Group may monitor emails sent to and from the CB Group network