Re: Problem with JAWS, Chrome and the Amazon website

chris judge

I haven’t experienced chrome being finniky or unstable. I’m using jaws 2019 on a windows 10 based system.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: February 22, 2019 3:17 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Problem with JAWS, Chrome and the Amazon website

Okay, time for a littlebrowser summary.  IE 11 is still supported, but depending on whom you talk to, it is obsolete and no longer secure and thus should not be used as your primary browser.  Firefox 65 only works with later versions of JAWS, but blind-essential add-ons like Webvisum, Plain Old Favorites and Navigational Sounds will not work with it.  Waterfox is supposed to be a souped-up version of Firefox, but it does not work on 32 bit systems.  Google Chrome is finicky, unreliable and unstable, even if you use JAWS 2019.  And don't even get me started with Edge, which only works with Windoes 10, if it works at all.  Do I have all this right?

Gerald

On 2/22/2019 1:10 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Dave,

Although J16 is old it still works 100% of the time with everything except for Chrome here recently, and I don't use a newer version of Firefox so I ain't commenting on that, but with Waterfox J16 works great.  I'm speaking of J16 64 bit on a Windows 7 64 bit system mainly since J16 is my default screenreader program on this computer.  J2019 is my default on my Win10 Pro 64 bit system and Chrome is crashing on it as well.

Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Book: a utensil used to pass time while waiting for the computer repairman!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 7:27 AM

Gerald,

I'm guessing that using JAWS 16 is contributing to your problem with Chrome. Isn't JAWS 16 the first version to work with Chrome? And isn't it no longer being updated, since we are up to JAWS 2019 (4 versions later), and that Chrome is likely also updated since 2015, when your JAWS 16 version came out? That seems like expecting a lot to have them play well together.

Dave
Oregonite, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 07:14

Chrome seems to have some serious shortcomings.  I can't get it to work at all with JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 desktop.  I can perform a Google search just fine, but as soon as I click on any search result, boom, Chrome crashes.  Quite frankly, I don't understand all the infatuation with this vastly overrated browser.

Gerald

On 2/22/2019 9:25 AM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Greg,

Yesterday on several occasions I had the same thing happen!  Running both Windows 7 & 10 with Jaws 16 thru Jaws2019, as soon as I pressed enter on the go / search button, WHAM, Chrome crashed!  I just tried again today and, WHAM, Chrome crashed again!

Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
Book: a utensil used to pass time while waiting for the computer repairman!

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2019 3:44 AM

Subject: [jaws-users] Problem with JAWS, Chrome and the Amazon website

Hello all,
Yesterday I started encountering a very odd issue with JAWS, Chrome and the Amazon website. Whenever I do a search the browser crashes. This just happens with JAWS in chrome while doing a search on the Amazon website. It does not happen in Firefox or when I used NVDA to see if it was just Chrome or if it was JAWS causing the issue. I even had my sighted son do a search when JAWS was turned off and everything was fine. I am using the latest versions of JAWS and Chrome on a the latest version of Windows10. Has anyone else seen this? Also does anyone have any suggestions on something I can do to try and solve this?

Thanks,
Greg Wocher

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.