Re: switch - was Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Humberto & Richard,

Thank you very much both for the explanation of the WAV & FLAC differences.

Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2019 4:55 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] switch - was Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

i believe HUMBERTO is correct. You would need the source to have wav or FLAC to give you the sound quality you are looking for. If they are high quality MP3, just leave them be and you will save a lot of disc space.
MP3 files are roughly one tenth the size of WAV files and according to the below information FLAC is about half the size of WAV.
FLAC vs WAV Size
FLAC format has compression built-in, so FLAC files are usually half the sizethe WAV files with the same content, but this compression does not affect the quality of the sound. WAV is better, because it supports 32 bit and up to 4.3 Mhz sampling as well as multi-channel audio.
HTH,
Richard

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On Feb 9, 2019, at 4:21 AM, Humberto Rodriguez <sub@...> wrote:

Hello Takis:

Once the audio file was compressed as MP3, converting it to .wav or any other format will not improve its quality, it cannot ever go back to what it was prior to converting to mp3, all the subsequent conversion does is increase the size of the file without improving the sound.

Humberto

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos
Sent: Saturday, February 9, 2019 2:25 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] switch - was Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

This is very useful Mike and very comprehensive. It explains all my issues. Just one thing. I will usually wish to convert from .mp3 to .wav or .flac, so, how can I find recommended encoder settings for these choices? Also, which is better quality, .wav, or .flac?

Thank you very much,

Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 8:28 PM

Hi Takis,

Below are steps that I just typed up.  What i do first is put any files that
I want to convert into the My Documents folder to make them easier to find /
navigate to.  You can convert several files at the same time.  after
pressing enter on each of the files you want to convert, steps 4 & 5, you
would select all the files.  I haven't done this in a very long time so, you
may be able to select all the files with the, control + A, keystroke or you
might have to arrow down through the list to select them all.

1. When you first open Switch press Alt + A, to open the locate audio files
dialogue.
2. Tab to the Look in combobox list.
3. Arrow down the list until you find the folder or drive you have the files
you want to convert saved.  Now with the folder or drive highlighted, tab 3
times to get into the list of files in this folder / drive.
4. Arrow or use first letter navigation to the file you want to convert &
press enter on it to put it into the Switch program.  Pressing enter on the
file will put you back into Switch & you will hear, not slected & the name
of the file.
5. Arrow down to the file to select it.
6. Tab 1 time to the Output format combobox& arrow up or down to the file
format you want the file converted into.
7. Tab 1 time to the Incoder options button & press the spacebar to open.
These are the settings that seem to work best when converting to .MP3 files.
Constant Bitrate (CBR) should be checked.  Tab 1 time to Incoder bit rate
combobox, arrow to 320, it's 17 of 17.  Tab 1 time to,High quality encoding
(slower)
checkbox, this box should be checked.  Tab 1 time to, Other channel incoding
mode combobox & choose stereo.  Tab 1 time to, Include CRC to Detect Errors,
this box should be checked.  Now tab to the Okay button & press the spacebar
to close Incoder options.  Now tab 2 times to, Output to same folder as
source files, this box should be checked to make it easier to find your
files.
8. Shift + tab 1 time to the convert button & press the spacebar to start
the conversion.

Take Care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 9:18 AM

Hi Tom-all,

In my experience, I just could not find how to associate an input file with the program. I found no place where I could select an input file and then proceed. If I opened a folder or browsed, I would be led to my usual windows explorer panel, with no association with the actual program. That was my chief difficulty.

Take care and thanks, Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Fairhurst
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:07 PM

When you open Switch, you will be on a button called Open Output Folder.It is 1 of five tabs. To the right are Output format, Encoder Option, a checkbox giving you the option of sending your files to the same folder. If you uncheck this box. If this box is not checked, you will need to open an output folder. Staying in the tab order, the last will show 0 items because none have been selected yet. As was mentioned in another E-mail. when the Alt key is pressed, you will see a traditional menu structure and land on the File menu. You can easily arrow across or down, and each item will be read. Oddly enough, I haven’t used this, but there is a help menu item. I haven’t explored the numerous options available. Staying on the file tab, however, and arrowing down you will see Add Files, and then Add Folders. Those of us who use Switch find it easy to work using Windows navigation. I am using Windows 7. I actually purchased the Plus version for $29 because a file I wanted to convert wouldn’t do so. This is a one-time payment, not a subscription. I hope this gets you started.

Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 4:53 AM

Hi Richard/all,

I downloaded switch this morning, but I have to admit that I did not succeed in converting. Alkthough it seems I understand what I should do with its structure, I always came up with a message that I have to select files to convert. Since I do not want to bother others, I wonder if there is a quick guide as what to do, or someone could give me some simple steps. When I open output folder, there seems to be an irrelevant window opening and I have to do contrl-tab to get back to the program. I don’t know what I am missing there, but some simple steps would be appreciated. With file convert I had none of these issues.

Cheers,

Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

Hi,

I just tried out the free version of Switch.

It is very easy to use.

If you have an iPhone and want to make ringtones, it can convert to .m4r format, along with a bunch of others.

It can convert different file types to the one you want at the same time.  I just did a quick test with a .wav file and an .m4r file and converted them to mp3 in one step.  I do not know what the maximum number of files might be, but it is pretty fast and retains the information you want.

Richard

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Panagiotis Antonopoulos
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:55 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

Hi Mike/all,

Is switch better than convert file and in what way?

Take care, Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:01 PM

I Takis,

There's a sound file converter called, Switch, that works great and is Jaws accessible.

Take care.  Sent from my iBarstool.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 2:16 AM

Hi all,

I am not an expert on audio programs, but did some research on this. I have a folder with archival material from the Smithsonian collection from the former Yugoslavia, Italy and Mexico. I copied it on a different part of the pc. Then I took off three files related to album icons, and asked file converter to convert the mp3. It refused to do so in .wav, because I simply had one file converted to .wav before. So I did this in .ogg. There was no progress bar with the program, but when I hit escape, all files were there, it seems it’s done very quickly, there were about 61 files to convert. The unfortunate thing is that it places the .wav file next to its .mp3 counterpart, so you have to manually delete all .mp3s thereafter. Then I went to the folder and tried groove which is a program I like, despite its mishaps. No play, whereas vlc and windows media player would play the .ogg. So, I removed the one .wav file existing, otherwise file converter would not permit me do a conversion. Once it was taken away, it did convert all files from .ogg into .wav and groove is playing fine, except that it cannot derive the info on artists and song titles. Needless to say, I had again, to manually, delete the .ogg files from the folder. I hope I have not tired you with this, and that it may be useful to others. However, might I ask the more knowledgeable among us, which format is the better quality one, ogg or wav?

Cheers, Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:30 PM

There are other tools you could use for batch conversion if you wanted to.

BTW, this seems like a neat utility; maybe I’ll give ita  shot.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: February 6, 2019 10:30 AM

You cannot use File Converter to select a folder in order to convert all of its files. This makes sense as File Converter is smart enough not to appear when you've highlighted a file it can't convert and the possibility of this happening is much greater in a folder. I tested this by copying 3 mp3 songs to a folder I created and then bringing up that new folder's context menu where File Converter did not appear. On the other hand, if you know all the files in a particular folder are of the same type and convertible by File Converter, you can move to the list of files by pressing the F6 key and then highlighting them all by pressing ctrl + a. Shift F10 will bring up the context menu where File Converter will appear in order to convert multiple files. I would not suggest highlighting files of different types even if they are convertible by File Converter in order to do a multi-conversion since this seems like it might have unintended consequences.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 8:53 AM

Greetings,

This is the first line of the description from the File converter page:

File Converter is a very simple tool which allows you to convert and compress one or several file(s) using the context menu in windows explorer.

So, doing “several” files seems standard.  How one accomplishes that exactly is likely in the documentation.

HTH,

Richard

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:40 AM

I have only tried with single files. So it could be interesting and I may do a little experimenting with the possibility of converting an entire folder. Thanks for the idea.

Marie

Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:06 AM

Hi Marie-all,

I just downloaded the utilitz, but wonder, can zou do a folder conversion as well, or just simple files?

Takis

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Marie
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:40 AM

I have been using this little utility for several months and it is indeed very simple and very useful.

Marie

Sent: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 8:38 AM

Subject: [jaws-users] Convert files with a right click from Windows Explorer

Hi List,

I received an email today from Gizmo's Freeware discussing a handy program that will add context menus to Windows Explorer enabling you to convert farious file formats to other formats when focus is on a file in an Explorer window. I'm pasting the text of the article discussing this free program after my signature. I installed it on my Windows 7 computer running Fusion 2019 and it worked very well to convert an m4a song to mp3 format. I'll admit that I'm a big user of Windows Explorer for file management and if you are too, I think you'll like this utility.

The download link to get it is here:

https://file-converter.org/

Alan Lemly

The below article is from this website:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/convert-files-right-click-windows-explorer.htm

Convert Files With A Right Click In Windows Explorer

Last updated by rhiannon on 05. February 2019 - 03:59

File Converter screen shot

There are many file converters available both online and offline, but how about one that works from Windows File Explorer right click (context) menu? File Converter does just that.

File Converter is a free open source Windows program that converts and compresses a variety of file formats from the right click menu in Windows File Explorer. Once installed, it appears in the context (right click) menu.

It's very easy to use; right click on a file (or several files) in Windows File Explorer, choose File Converter, and select the file format. A window opens showing the progress of the conversion and closes when it's complete. Converted files are stored in the same folder as the source file and have the same name with a different extension.

File Converter won't appear in the context menu if you right click on a file that isn't supported, a nice touch that keeps the context menu less cluttered.

File Converter works with audio, video, image and document files and supports these formats:

Audio

Output formats: flac, aac, ogg, mp3, wav

Input formats: 3gp, aiff, ape, avi, bik, cda, flac, flv, m4a, mkv, mov, mp3, mp4, oga, ogg, wav, webm, wma, wmv

Video

Output formats: webm, mkv, mp4, ogv, avi, gif

Input formats: 3gp, avi, bik, flv, gif, m4v, mkv, mp4, mpeg, mov, ogv, webm, wmv

Output formats: png, jpg, ico, webp

Input formats: bmp, exr, ico, jpg, jpeg, png, psd, svg, tiff, tga, webp, pdf, doc*, docx*, odt*, odp*, ods*, ppt*, pptx*, xls*, xlsx*

(Microsoft Office will have to be installed for the Office formats to work)

Document

Output format: pdf

Input formats: doc*, docx*, odt*, odp*, ods*, ppt*, pptx*, xls*, xlsx*, bmp, exr, ico, jpg, jpeg, png, psd, svg, tiff, tga

File Converter can be customized using the Windows program menu, though the defaults should work well for most people. It's lightweight, fast and quite useful.

It runs on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 and 10, and the 32 bit and 64 bit installers (.msi) are clean according to VirusTotal.

The source code can be viewed on GitHub

Download File Converter

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.