Re: Jaws Reading Item Number in List View

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Pam,

A little tip when in the Settings Center is:  Whenever you hear, ..., following any of the settings options like High..., Medium..., Beginner... or Intermediate...means to use the spacebar to open.  If you press enter on one of these, ... , options it will close the Settings Center.
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws Reading Item Number in List View

Thanks, Adrian and Mike.  I was missing the part about pressing the spacebar on "Medium" and so was not seeing the checkboxes.

I tabbed to "OK" after making the change and that saved my setting.

All of these verbosity settings are quite confusing, and I have been using JAWS for years.

Pam

Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 4:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Mike, your wish is my command.

How to stop JAWS from verbalizing list details, such as ”List of 3 item,” and “List end.”
Open JAWS settings with JAWS key+6 on the number row above the letters. If you want the change to affect only one application, be sure focus is in that application. Otherwise, press shift-control-d for it to affect all programs.
Type v e r in the search box and verbosity will appear.
One of the results that comes up is configure web verbosity. On my system, it’s the first of nine.
Cycle through the options with the spacebar. I set mine to “medium.”
Note: this is different from JAWS’ speech verbosity, where mine is set to “intermediate.” Different part of the program, different terminology.
Press f6. For me, the “medium” choice is verbalized right away.
However, tabbing once initiates “Set Web verbosity levels.” The first button is labeled “High.” For me, I tab a second time to the button labeled “medium.”
Press spacebar on the button of your choice. (“Low” is a third option.)
After pressing the button you select, a tree view of checkboxes appears.
Arrow down to “List” and pressed spacebar to uncheck it.
Note: You may wish to look at the other items in this tree view in case you want to disable, or in some cases enable, more options.
Tab twice to Okay and press spacebar.
Be sure to save before closing the dialog. I did this by pressing escape and confirming when I was asked to save. I believe control-s will also save the change.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 3:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi Adrian,

Would you please post your alternate method?  Thanks much.
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
----- Original Message -----
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io<mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 12:39 PM

Hi, Pamela. Here's what Ann Byrne wrote. If it doesn't work for you, please post again because there's an alternative method.

1.  Settings center.
2. Insert+shift+d (default all applications)
3. web/html/pdf's.
4. reading (closed)
5. Open reading; configure web verbosity levels (closed).
6.  that's where the sucker is hiding!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@groups.io<mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io> <jaws-users-list@groups.io<mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io>> On Behalf Of Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 3:12 PM

Adrian,

Could you please repeat where to find this setting?  I am not finding it and I can't locate the original email.

Thanks much,
Pam

Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:18 PM

Thanks, Rick. However, this isn't the kind of list I had in mind. It's one I don't want to lose, and like many of us, I wish I had it in Outlook. What I was looking for turns out to be "Web verbosity," which Ann uncovered. One website I regularly visit suddenly added lists and nestled lists within lists to it weekly updates, and it was too distracting. Now there are no lists, nestling or otherwise, and I can focus my attention on the information.

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@groups.io<mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io> <jaws-users-list@groups.io<mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io>> On Behalf Of Rick Justice
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 9:13 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws Reading Item Number in List View

To stop Jaws from reading the number of an item while arrowing thru a list, Go to the Jaws settings center, then speech verbosity, then configuration.
In the list of items, (number 17) position information, uncheck the box, and save your settings on the way out.
Jaws will still announce the location of the item when using the say-all command.
This worked for me in Jaws 2019.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.