Re: New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

Hi Patti,

I'm not sure if this is what I wanted or not. To be honest, I just got through installing ZoomText Fusion 2018 and I'm transitioning from the old ZoomText Magnifier/Reader version 10.1 and I haven't had a chance to check Excel yet. Actually, I'm sort of foundering since all the shortcut keys I had previously memorized don't work anymore and I'm trying to learn their equivalents in Fusion/JAWS.

I'll post back after I check what y'all have been so nice to share and let you know if it does what I needed.

Thanks for all the help.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of patti
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 9:44 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

So is this not what you wanted? Smiles

Just a FYI, This does work in Office 2016 as this is the way I’ve done it for years.

Al

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of patti
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:01 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

Ok this is what I do.

I have windows10, jaws18, and MS 2010, but it might work on MS 2016.

Excel Row and Column Title Reading

1, be in the cell roll you want it to be read, like A1

2, Press insert V

3, press the letter T

4, arrow down to title reading

5, arrow down one time to, Define Name Column and Row Titles off

6, press the space bar until you hear current file

7, arrow down two times to title reading detection off

8, press the space bar

A, the first choice is read the column

B, read the row

C, read both

9, after you make your choice then press enter twice

Then it will go back to the work sheet

I hope this works for you.

Patti

Hi Patty,

I want to hear the column headings that are placed in row 1, columns A through whatever, regardless of where my cursor is located in the spreadsheet.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of patti
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headins and row titles

HiAlan,

Do you want to hear the title of a column as you go across the excel sheet, or go down?

Patti

Hi List,

I'm transitioning from an older version of ZoomText Magnifier/Reader to Fusion 2018 very soon. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about JAWS keyboard shortcuts, or hotkeys, or keystrokes or whatever you might call them. I just read through the 30-page JAWS 2018 keystrokes guide but could not find what I'm looking for. I know at one point in the past, JAWS had a keystroke that would read the Excel column heading of the text located in row 1 of that column regardless of where your cursor was located in the spreadsheet. By the same token, it also had a keystroke that would read the text located in column A that was the row title regardless of the column your cursor was located in. These keystrokes were very helpful since you could quickly understand your position based on row title and column heading name with a quick keystroke.

Can someone confirm that I'm not imagining that these keyboard shortcuts used to exist in JAWS? Can anyone tell me how I might resurrect them or accomplish what I'm wanting to do by customizing some keystroke sugstitute?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Lemly

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.