Re: File association

Adrian Spratt

Ingenious. I don’t have the time to try it now, but I’m eager to do so.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 6:15 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] File association

Hi Adrian,

Try the following:

Okay, I found that you can fast forward through the, Choose default apps by file type link, if you turn Key Repeat on.

1. To do this, after the file types list is loaded up open the Settings Center with, Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, and if you get a new configuration message select the, Okay, option and press the spacebar.  Arrow down to, User closed, and right arrow to open.

2. Down arrow to, Key Repeat not checked, and press the spacebar to check this.

3. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.  Now if you hold the Tab key down it will fast forward through this long list of file types.

It's funny listening to Jaws fast forward through this long files type list because it sounds like fast forwarding a cassette tape.  LOL

Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 2:56 PM

In Windows 7, the file association process was handled essentially with two columns, one of applications, the other of file types. I could, for example, select Window Media Player in the first column, then turning to the second, use first-letter navigation (beginning with a period) to locate a file type I wanted that application to open.

In Windows 10, as Mike B explains in a post I’ve copied below, you select a general category, such as email or video, and choose an application to handle that entire genre.

But what if I want Windows Media Player to handle some audio file types but VLC some other audio file types? It looks like the only way to do this is to select “Choose default app by file types.” Clicking on this link takes me to an interminable list of file types listed by button so that I must tab three thousand times to get, for example, to .WAV.

Is there a more efficient method available to screenreader users?