Re: best browser for jaws 17

JM Casey

Hi.

There’s no trick. Just go download the latest version, version 64, from the mozilla page. You should be able to install it without uninstalling the old version first, I think; FF will take care of that automatically.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JOHN RIEHL
Sent: December 31, 2018 4:28 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] best browser for jaws 17

What’s the trick from moving from the ESR to the non-ESR version of Firefox?

Thanks.  

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 4:00 PM

Well, the bottom line is if one is not going to update their screen reader, they are pretty much on their own since support goes away for old software.

I think there is a web site for old software, but I do not know what it is.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself, for every man hath need to be forgiven."

Edward Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Cherbury (March 3, 1583 – August 20, 1648)

On Dec 31, 2018, at 12:30 PM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Hi.

What can you tell us about the maintenance of Waterfox?

Many people have said that it works, is accessible and fast. But is the project still under heavy development. Are there regular new versions being released? How about security updates?

Thanks.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: December 31, 2018 3:21 PM

I use Waterfox, and I can do all that I need, streaming, filling out forms, and so on!

It is so fast, pages load very fast, and it is so simple to use.

I like it better than even the old firefox!

Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 3:17 PM

Hi.. I have not switched from the ESR version to the “regular” Firefox. I’m using the latest version of JAWS and have two questions.

First, has Mozilla resolved the issues that made it problematic to use the non-ESR Firefoxes with JAWs?

Second, is it worth switching to the non-ESR version of Firefox?

Thanks. John  

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 2:59 PM

Hey.

Version 60 will not work with any JAWS version older than 2018.

The ESR is just an update branch that operates a year behind the regular software updates while still providing security and maintenance fixes. So, for a while there, JAWS users were encouraged to use the ESR version, which was at 52 until the summertime. At that point, it moved forward to version 60, so old JAWS versions would no longer work with Firefox.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: December 31, 2018 2:32 PM

Well, it would be worth trying the ESR version 60 then for that person. They can go into the settings and keep it from updating to the regular version"

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself, for every man hath need to be forgiven."

Edward Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Cherbury (March 3, 1583 – August 20, 1648)

On Dec 31, 2018, at 10:58 AM, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:

Hi Richard.

There is no longer a 52 ESR though. The ESR is now at 60. You could download version 52 from somewhere else, but it wouldn’t be supported, so receive no security updates. It also automatically attempts to update itself when installed, so you’d have to jump through a couple of hoops in order to stop it from doing that – doesn’t really seem worth the trouble, to me.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: December 31, 2018 1:51 PM

Actually, they could probably use the Firefox 52 ESR version.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Richard

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 10:40 AM

You won’t be able to use Firefox anymore because of their changed architecture that only works properly with JAWS 2018 or another screen-reader, or Edge (assuming you have Windows 10), because there is no Edge support in anything prior to the final build of JAWS 18. Some people have reported success with Waterfox, which uses Firefox legacy code. I don’t know about Waterfox, myself; I don’t know how well it is really supported by its developer and I am a bit cautious about it. I’m also not sure how much success you’ll have with Chrome, but I believe . updated Chrome still works fine with JAWS 18, so your best bet might be to try it.

Otherwise, you might have to run IE if you’re determined to keep using that JAWS version.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of sandy
Sent: December 31, 2018 6:34 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] best browser for jaws 17

I have jaws 17 on 3 computers, and have found that different browsers work differently from each other, and would like to know what is the best browser to use with jaws 17

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.