Original Message
From: Mark Brett
Hi when I plug in my Seagate portable drive I notice the fan starting up and the USB bell sound but it isn’t showing in this PC using windows 8.1.  why not?
Thanks
Mark

From: Carlos
Perhaps Windows is not assigning the drive a letter for some reason.

You can try the following:
1. Open the "Run" dialog by pressing Windows key R.

2. Type
diskmgmt.msc
and press Enter.

3. When Disk Management opens, see if the drive is displayed in the list.

4. If you can find the drive, press the Applications key and select
"Change Drive Letter and Paths" from the context menu.

5. In the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" dialog, see if there is already a letter assigned in the list.

6. If not, select the "Add" button and select a drive letter for the disk.

7. If ther'es a drive letter assigned choose, Change.

Carlos

From: Mark Brett
Hi, I did that and it wasn’t in the list.
Mark

From: Carlos
It might be offline which is a bit more tricky. When "Disk Management" first opens, if you tab once you will land in the
list which displays currently available volumes whether they have a drive
letter assigned or not.  This is also the top part of "Disk Management".  If
you tab a second time, you will hear something like "DM Disk View".  This is
the bottom part of "Disk Management" and by default it is set to "Graphical
View".  This is where disks which are offline, not initialized, or do not
have a detectable partition table are listed.  It is only accessible with
the Jaws/virtual cursor.  You can manage this list in a couple of different
ways. The most convenient is to change the view mode for the bottom display.  To do this, go
to the "View" menu, choose the "Bottom" submenu, and select "Disk List".
You may have to tab back into the list after you make this change.  If your disk is being detected by Windows, you should now see it listed here.
If you still don't see the disk, there is definitely a problem.  If while scrolling through the list, you see any disks which say "Offline" or "Not Initialized"
you can press the Applications key and select
"Online"
Once the disk has been brought online, tab back to the first list/top display and if you can find it use the previous steps to assign it a drive letter.
Carlos
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
I type out everything I want to remember. That way instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it was, I spend the time looking for where I saved it!