Re: External Hard Drive Formatting

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Jerry,

It sounds like as JM said, you need to change the permissions in the properties of the drive.  Microsoft Accessibility will do this for you, I know this because they did for me when I had a problem updating Jaws on one of our computers.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] External Hard Drive Formatting

Yes. And I tried a different attack. I created a document, and attempted to save it directly to the external, but I got a message that I did not have administer rights. This just gets crazier as I go along.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 5:24 PM

Hi Jerry,

Didn't you say you're running an IOmega drive as an external storage drive?

Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 3:17 PM

Mike:
I know that you mentioned checking the properties of my external and my OS drives. Regarding the external, I did not find any such animal. Thanks for the reply.

Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 5:09 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Hi Jerry,

I don't know if this might cause the problem you're having, but check both your operating system drive and your storage drive properties to see if they're formatted with the same file systems.  You want them to be using the NTFS file system.

Sennt from my iBarstool.
To: jaws-users-list
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 2:34 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] External Hard Drive Formatting

Afternoon all.

I have an IOmega External hard drive, and I have a question regarding it.

I have been having a problem with some of my documents. I can, using Word 13, create a document, save it to my documents folder, then copy it to my external. As soon as I do, it gets converted to a read only file. I spoke with Microsoft accessibility, and they thought the problem was solved, but not so. I spoke with a computer expert, and I was told to transfer all of the files/folders to another device, format the external, then re-transfer all materials back to the external, and that should solve the problem.

So, here is my question. Is there anything I need to keep on there before I format it? I never formatted the device; I just started using it out of the box. I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.