Re: External Hard Drive Formatting

JERRY MARTIN

Okay. I did as you suggested, and upon opening the properties, there is no compatibility tab. So... what next? Thanks for your help.

From: JM Casey
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 5:26 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] External Hard Drive Formatting

Interesting. Well it doesn’t sound like protected mode, but something more connected with the operating system.

There are two factors that might be involved. File attributes or permissions. Essentially you need to take “ownership” of the drive, so you can modify the files on it.

You can try this. It might not be a permanent solution because it could potentially open you up to vulnerabilities. But if you don’t open a lot of macro enabled files from the Internet, you should be ok. There is probably a better way to solve this problem but it’s complicated and without looking at your system and heavy recourse to google it’d just be too much to explain over the list.

So try:

Go to your word shortcut, assuming you have one.

Hit alt-enter to open the properties.

Go to the compatibility tab.

Check the box that says “run this programme as an administrator”.

Now, every time you start Word, the “user account control” box will probbably open. But you can hit alt-y to say yes, and Word will open, and likely your documents will no longer say “read only”.

No guarantee that this will work, but try it.

There’s definitely a way around this that doesn’t involve formatting.