Re: Other Keys for Closing Documents and Outlook

chris judge

Most of the HP laptops I’ve seen in many years are set this way. I know dell does it as well, but with dell laptops you can toggle the function key setting by holding the FN key and pressing escape. Not sure if this works for HP.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Williams
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 11:44 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Other Keys for Closing Documents and Outlook

When did HP do that?  I had an HP pc and that wasn’t the case.  I did, however, use a regular keyboard pluged into the labpto, though.  There is no way I’d be holding the function key everytime I needed to close a document.

Justin

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 7:29 AM

That can easily be change by going in to bios, choosing set-up, choosing action keys and changing it so the function keys behave as we need them to as screen reader users. You will require sighted assistance as there is no speech support in the bios, but I’ve talked many people who claim to be computer illiterate through the process, and it’s quite simple. I could not tolerate having to hold the FN key every time I needed to execute a command with function keys, it would drive me batty.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of lyacks@...
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 9:36 PM

Hi,

You might also try the “FN” key plus the alt plus f4. I have to use the fn key on all of my function keys because, in their infinant wisdom, HP assigned all the function keys, when pressed by themselves, to other commands. HTH. Linda Yacks

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michelle Clark via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 5:33 PM

Hello,

At work, I am using Windows and JAWS 2018 . Due to a special script, which is turning out not to be so special, I cannot use Alt, F4 to close many windows. Can anyone give me another manner in which to close these things?

I found it at one point but did not document it as I thought I would remember, however, age does some tricks on some people. I appreciate any help I can get so I can stop doing forced system swhen I have too many opened windows.

Thanks,

Michelle

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.