Re: question about the portal

chris judge

Yes it sure would. That’s how the ms office 365 subscription works.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: November 2, 2018 1:29 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] question about the portal

Thanks for the reassurances.  I have one more question.  Would it be possible to offer an automatic subscription option by which a one year license could automatically be renewed for another year when it is about to expire?  This would be a major convenience.

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 11:34 AM

Gerald,

You raise good points about. Let me take a stab at addressing these questions and concerns.

First, you challenge why anyone would want to buy 5 Years via the portal for $450 rather than 1 year at a time for $90 since there is no apparent cost advantage. Well, I’m with you if I’m paying out of pocket. I prefer to just pay as I go for the least amount of money unless there is enough of a price break to pre pay (the way the SMA program has worked). The only risk is that the Portal Annual solution goes up in price in the future, then I could end up paying more per year. But again, that is a risk I personally would take.

Now on the other hand, if I get assistance with my purchases via an agency or so other source, and I would prefer not to have to go back and request that help every twelve months, then going for the 3 year or 5 year option might be to my advantage. The agency will probably appreciate that as well, to be honest.

Your other concern that Vispero might go away after two years, and maybe that is a good reason not to risk a longer investment. Well, the good news is that if you had the 5 year option installed, even if Vispero when away, you’d still have access to the software, even though updates would probably cease. If you have the one year option, it will come to an end sooner and there would be no way to renew I guess. But the comparison between GW and Vispero is not exactly apples to apples. Vispero has a very large product portfolio and world wide distribution. Because of the number of JAWS and ZoomText users worldwide, and the commitment to the development through the SMA program, it is not likely the ownership is willing to abandon that business anytime soon. I know I’m a bit bias on this front, but I feel very confident that customers buying into either of the options, 1, 3, or 5 year with the portal, or sticking with the SMA program, they will not be disappointed.

Regards,

Eric

Eric Damery

Vispero | Vice President Software Product Management

17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764

T 727-299-6110 F 727-803-8001

Edamery@...

www.vispero.com

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 10:22 AM

Is that so?  Remember a few years ago when GWMicro shook up the screen reader market  by offering free upgrades to Window Eyes for customers who purchased MS Office?  How did that work out?  Where is that company today?The fact that Vispero faces increasingly stiff competition from that free screen reader which shall remain nameless, means that its future viability is by no means guaranteed.   Members of other blindness-related tech lists have speculated that the days of the commercial screen reader may be numbered.  And because Vispero is privately held, only its top executives and company insiders are privy to its true financial condition. So I don’t think my assumption is unreasonable.  

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:34 AM

That is an unreasonable assumsion

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 8:30 AM

What is the advantage of buying a five year license for $450, versus buying a one year license for each of the next five years, which would also cost a total of $450?  There is no financial incentive for buying all those years in advance because there is no discount.  Suppose Vispero were to suddenly go belly up without notice two years from now?  How would someone who purchased a five year license today obtain a refund for the unused future years? 

Gerald

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 8:15 AM

If you have a traditional ILM license, as all of you on this list would have, then you would stick with the SMA program as long as you can and it makes financial sense to do so. Provided you are current with you version, that is the way to go now for sure. But once you switch to move to the Portal, that will be the path you stay on. Going back and updating the ILM license in the future, will not make any sense. Just maintain paying 1, 3, or 5 years at a time in the portal.

It's like MS Office 365, once you get started on that, you never go to the store and buy Office 2016 or 2019 again. Or upgrades. Because Office 365 is always the latest and greatest and keeps you current as long as you maintain the license.

Regards,

Eric

Eric Damery

Vispero | Vice President Software Product Management

Edamery@...

www.vispero.com

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of cecropia64
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 6:30 AM

okay, one last question then� If one moves over to the other license payment option, is this permanent or can I go back to the sma payments?

On 11/2/2018 6:28 AM, Eric Damery wrote:

Yes

Eric Damery

813-817-8813

On Nov 2, 2018, at 6:28 AM, cecropia64 <cecropia64@...> wrote:

So Eric, does this mean that the sma will still be available for those who want it?

On 11/2/2018 6:26 AM, Eric Damery wrote:

Yes, we will expand the portal solution to the international markets, but we have a lot of work to get there. Stay tuned.�

No, once you switch to Annual Portal style license, you stay on that style. SMA is only sold on traditional ILM licenses.�

Eric

On Nov 2, 2018, at 4:12 AM, Sharon S <koala@...> wrote:

Hi Eric, are there plans to bring this system to other countries? I am from Australia and have friends who are well behind in their Jaws and can�t afford to bring it up to date.

�

Also, if you buy a year licence and get up to date can you then change back to the SMA system?

�

Thanks.

From Shaz.

�

�

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Damery
Sent: Friday, November 2, 2018 8:40 AM

�

If you have and SMA, it will certainly be honored in the future, and I fully expect that you will be given the same opportunities to renew when the time comes.

�

I can�t say exactly what the programs will look like in a year, or two or three years. Prices can and will fluctuate with time, just as they do with most things. You can count on the cost of computers and software changing over time.

�

One of my objectives over the past several years, has been to find a solution for Home users to take advantage of getting started with to the technology at an affordable price. With the new opportunity in the Home Annual options, we have made that step and maintained the same SMA program for all our current users. I�ve talked to many users over the past year about such a solution, and everyone was optimistic with this approach. So far, so good I think.

�

Regards,

Eric

�

Eric Damery

Vispero� | Vice President Software Product Management

Edamery@...

www.vispero.com

�

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of andy t
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:09 PM

�

Hello Eric, I have a question about the SMA program, if we currently hold an SMA and are authorized for the next 2 years is the SMA program still going to be there for us or is it going to be dropped if we renew while our SMA is covered or is everyone going to have to renew on the web sight and be forced to pay the higher price?

�

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Damery
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:24 PM

�

All,

�

As David said, we discussed this on the FS Cast a couple of times. Generally speaking, if you currently have JAWS 18 or older, or never owned it before, you would want to really consider the Home Annual License at $90 per year, rather than much higher expense of upgrading your current license, or buying a new one.

�

If you have JAWS Home version 2018 now, and did not buy the SMA previously, then you might still want to consider buying the upgrade and the SMA with it now, for $240 in the USA. Over the course of the next 3 years, it will be less expensive that way.

�

And if you have 2019, I highly recommend you go ahead now and renew or add the SMA. Do it before the end of year and get covered for the next 2 years for $120.

�

And please, if you are not sure which way to go, call the customer service people at Freedom Scientific and they will help you find the most economical solution.

�

Regards,

Eric

�

Eric Damery

Vispero� | Vice President Software Product Management

Edamery@...

www.vispero.com

�

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:11 PM

�

Guess I will be doing the �same.so heers the question will the SMA give you an option of 2 3 or 5 depending on which one a person �elects.just wondering.�

�

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:53 AM

�

Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot; I'm old.� It's an SMA for me all the way!

�

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...
�
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~
�

On 11/1/2018 2:33 PM, David Moore wrote:

Hi!

This is all talked about in the last FS cast.

Here is why someone would go for a annual�

License.

If you only have JAWS 15, let us say, an SMA would cost a lot more, because you have to catch up to JAWS 2019. That is a big jump.

You actually save money then, just to get an annual subscription to get JAWS 2019 right away, instead of catching up on your SMA.

Now, if your SMA is about to run out, or just ran out, it is still better to renew your SMA.

It is when your JAWS is way out of date that the annual option is the best.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:17 PM

�

Why a yearly license versus an SMA?� I'm looking for a good explanation.

�

�

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...
�
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~
�

On 11/1/2018 2:08 PM, Michael Amaro wrote:

Stay current with the latest version of JAWS, the world's most popular screen reader, with an affordable, annual license now available for home users in the United States. Choose between a one-, three-, or five-year option, with the ability to easily renew your license at the end of your initial term.

With a JAWS Home Annual license you will always have the most up-to-date version of JAWS, and will not have to pay for an upgrade to get new versions when they release � you have access to all upgrades released during your license term. Having access to new versions of JAWS as they become available is essential to ensure the ability to use your computer with the continuous updates of Microsoft Windows�, Microsoft Office�, your browser, and other applications you may use.

JAWS License Comparison

What's Next?

After purchasing your JAWS Home Annual license, you will receive an email with instructions and a link to register on the Freedom Scientific Licensing Portal, which allows you to access and manage your software licenses, and provides a simple way to install and activate your software. Your license can be installed on up to 3 of your computers and using the portal, you can easily remove your license from one computer and put it on a new one later.

When registering on the Licensing Portal, make sure to use the same email address you used to purchase your license; if you have already registered from previous purchases, simply select the link you receive and sign in � your license will be available.

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:10 AM

�

yes it is operational.� You have to�go to:

�

�

Create an acount purchase your jaws annual license from there.� Then you will get an email.� That will takeyou to the portal.� It is very easy.

�

�

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 6:14 AM

Subject: [jaws-users] question about the portal

�

Good morning:

I was just wondering about whether the portal was operational and if so, how to go about purchasing through it?� My sma is way behind right now and I�d like to fix that.

Thanks and take care

Chris

�

�

�

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.