Re: Windows 10 & JAWS

Vicki W

This is very helpful.

----- Original Message -----
From: JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Windows 10 & JAWS

Settings – well it’s completely up to you. Mostly what I did is get rid of a lot of stuff. Most of the modern Universal-style apps are useless to me, so I just cleared them out. Set folder views to details. Tightened up the privacy settings a bit. Nothing at all to do with JAWS or being a blind user though. It’s a matter of personal preference, and all I can suggest is that you play around with Windows 10 for a while, and see what you like, and what you don’t like. It’s quite customisable really if you know what you want to achieve, do some google searching if a method isn’t immediately obvious and you will probably find a way.

As for tutorials, there are the guides from VIP software dealing with the taskbar and File Explorer. Those I found quite useful.

http://vip.chowo.co.uk/

Another useful thing is the list of run commands. This isn’t exclusive to Windows 10, but I think it’s particularly useful for blind users because, if you become accustomed to it, along with the Windows search box,  virtually eliminates the need for most of the windows menus. You can use your computer like a boss (or at least, as quickly as a lot of sighted people can) once you learn to just type a few keystrokes to get where you want.

https://www.pcsteps.com/1675-run-command-complete-list-windows/