Re: How to get JAWS to announce the number of unread messages in Outlook 2016 inbox

Mauricio Molina

Hi All,

Here is a tip I first got from a Microsoft Disability Tech Support technician to address the issue of JAWS Key (Insert)+NumPad 3 not reading the number of total messages and the number of unread messages in a folder. As someone who configures various email accounts in Outlook often, I found this tip to be a keeper.

1. Press Alt+V, followed by the letter V.
  2. Press the Tab key to the “Filter (dot dot dot)” button and activate.
  3. Tab to the “Clear All” button and activate.
  4. Tab to the “OK” button and activate.
  5. Tab to the “OK” button and activate.
  6. Finished.

Mauricio

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] How to get JAWS to announce the number of unread messages in Outlook 2016 inbox

Okay, Jorge and others having this status line problem. After hunting through the ribbons and Googling, all in vain, I had one last inspiration, and I think it’s your answer. While in the messages list, press F6. You’ll see a checkbox for the status line. I’m guessing yours isn’t checked.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of TheHangMan
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] How to get JAWS to announce the number of unread messages in Outlook 2016 inbox

Hi Kimsan,Adrian and Jim,

Over here in Outlook 16 that method of finding out how many emails are in the inbox doesn’t work here using the insert plus the #3  in the nubpad.

Are you guys using the laptop configuration , with window 7  LOL ???!

Thanks,

Jorge,

There is no better symbol for the purpose we serve than the emblem every Marine earns: the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The eagle represents the proud nation we defend. It stands at the ready with our coastlines in sight and the entire world within reach of its outstretched wings. The globe represents our worldwide presence. The anchor points both to the Marine Corps' naval heritage and its ability to access any coastline in the world. Together, the eagle, globe and anchor symbolize our commitment to defend our nation—in the air, on land and at sea.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimsan via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 3:05 AM

I’m using outlook 2016 and that doesn’t work.

I’ve always used Jim’s route…

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 8:20 PM

In addition to Jim’ suggestion, when you’re in the message list, press insert-3 on the numpad. JAWS will tell you the total number of messages in the folder, then the number of unread ones.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Pursley
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 10:26 PM

Hit Control Y which brings up the folders menu.  Inbox should be the firstone, showing the number of unread messages.  There may be a better way but this one works for me, as I don't need to check every few minutes.   I seem to always have a bunch of unread messages as many are news related and don't demand immediate attention.

On 10/21/2018 10:26 PM, Alan Lemly wrote:

Hi List,

Does anyone know of a hotkey shortcut to get JAWS to speak the unread messages in an Outlook 2016 inbox?

I apologize if this has been covered recently but I'm asking for a friend and haven't been thoroughly digesting the recent Outlook posts.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Lemly

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.