Inserting Superscript Or Subscript Text In Word

Rebecca Lineberger

Insert subscript or superscript text

Applies To: Word for Office 365,Outlook for Office 365,Word 2016,Outlook 2016,Word 2013,Outlook 2013,Word 2010,Outlook 2010,Word 2007,Outlook 2007,Word

Online, Word Starter 2010,

article

Superscript and subscript refer to numbers that are positioned slightly higher or slightly lower than the text on the line. For example, chemical formulas

use subscript (H2O), and an exponent is often formatted as a superscript (X4).

Examples of Subscript and Superscript formatting

Make text subscript or superscript

list of 3 items

1. Select the text that you want to format as subscript or superscript.

2. Do one of the following:

list of 2 items nesting level 1

On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Subscript. Or press CTRL+=.

the subscript command in the font group

On the Home tab, in the Font group, click Superscript. Or press CTRL+SHIFT+=.

the superscript command in the font group

list end nesting level 1

Note: Keyboard shortcuts do not work if you are using Word Online.

3. To undo the formatting, click the Subscript or Superscript button again, or repeat the keyboard shortcut.

My note:

Use JAWS sound schemes to check if superscripts are on.

Insert-alt-s.

Or check for inconsistencies with

Windows-alt-I.

For example, I just typed

104, and then selected the 4, and then pressed

Control-shift-and the equals sign.

104

When I turned on the select a scheme, insert-alt-s, and selected classic attributes,

JAWS said

10 superscript 4 normal

If you choose

Proofreading atributes instead, JAWS reads the 4 in a higher pitch.

If you instead press

Windows-alt-I, JAWS makes a clicking sound and then tells you that

Font change superscript is on 104.

HTH.

Rebecca

A mind is like a parachute.  It doesn't work if it isn't open.