Re: Previous CAPTCHA Inquiry

Victor Gouveia

Again, I just have to ask, are you people not seeing the CAPTCHA solving thing when you attempt to check that box?  LOL.

Victor

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 4:38 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Previous CAPTCHA Inquiry

That’s interesting I just now saw this e-mail, because I was just on a site where the checkbox would not check for me either.

Judy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 1:20 PM

checking the box rarely does anything for me.  I still am asked to solve the CAPTCHA.

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:20 AM

I’ve seen some sites recently that simply have a checkbox you check that says “I’m not a robot.”

Even with some of the funny squiggly print in captchas, sighted folks have difficulty with them.

Judy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:38 AM

Morning all,

OCR has come a very long way since I used the first Kurtz while reader in the mid-80s, but it has its limitations. CAPTCHAs are created specifically to be unidentifiable by OCR systems. Though at times, OCR can convert these, if there was a much better rate of success doing that, you can bet that the designers of CAPTCHAs would work at making even nastier ones. The auditory CAPTCHA  can often be useless especially for folks like me who also have a hearing loss.

A few times, I have encountered auditory CAPTCHAs with none of the background noise one usually finds. This other form speaks a simple problem or question to which the human provides an answer. There well may be ways of defeating that approach, but it would seem to be an alternative with potential. Given the numbers of visually impaired elder boomers in my generation who will develop vision loss, I hope that other methods will be created.

Rick

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Previous Captia Inquiry

You can sometimes read the text of an image posted on facebook. Here’s what I’ve started to do.

Open the image in “full size”. This means it basically has its own browser tab.

Save the .jpg.

Recognise with jAWS.

It sometimes works.

I’ve only been using jAWS 2018 for about a week, but I noticed the oCR is much improved from JAWS 18. It’s still not of a high standard, but I can get intelligible text from an image at least some of the time.

Of course, a lot of things can interfere with oCR. The other day someone posted an image of a vintage horror/sci-fi movie on facebook. I did the usual oCR trick and ended up with something like “vewiuroapeiy v b r mst r 0”

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: September 19, 2018 9:34 AM

I agree.  I hope with adding more OCR that will be possible as well as reading the text of images posted on things like face book.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:43 AM

Yes it would, now that would be a feature worth paying for.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:56 PM

So let us suggest it again.

Eric, how about a captcha-reading capability within Jaws.  That would be nice.  Thank you.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 9/18/2018 3:49 PM, Steve wrote:

I used Webvisum a couple weeks ago, but I don't think it works with anything above Firefox 52. 

I can never seem to get any relevant response from them on their website, so I suspect once that version of Firefox is gone, we're going to have to use something like Rumola or one of the other Captcha solutions, for those sites that don't provide an alternative; or whose alternative audio is so garbled as to be useless.

I suggested to Mr. Damery a few years ago that a captcha-reading capability within Jaws would be nice, but to no avail.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:41 PM

I’ve never had success with Webvism and the add-on is not supported anymore anyway, so I’m not going to suggest that.

To be honest I’ve never successfully solved this problem without sighted assistance, if there is no audio option.

Sometimes even when there is an audio option, it’s too garbled to make much sense of and the result Is long minutes of frustration and tedium.

But it seems like the audio ones are actually getting better, as a rule.

There are other solving tools for the visual ones. I believe most of them charge a small fee for use and I have  never tried.

Maybe look for something called Rumola. I believe it’s an add-on for Chrome.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: September 18, 2018 8:13 AM
To: jaws-users-list mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Previous Captia Inquiry

Morning all.

I believe that this subject has been approached before, but my sometimers is in high gear today.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to deal with captias on a website. I am applying for a job, and the registration site has a captia at the beginning of the site. Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

this, then you can bet the companies that design Captia would work harder a making them indecipherable.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.