Re: Previous Captia Inquiry

Victor Gouveia

I don’t understand why some of you are saying what you’re saying about putting this technology in Jaws.

You’re talking like Jaws is open source software and anyone can take that code and use it to their own ends, but the fact is, Jaws is not open source and the code is proprietary and not anyone can extract that feature from the program.

Besides, when one takes into account what NVDA can do at it’s price range, and that is open source, proprietary software should, by it’s own definition, be far more advanced, and I think that’s where we’re going with Jaws and it’s price point.  I’m sure some may not feel the same way, but most would have to admit they’re starting to expect far more than what we’ve been seeing from Jaws in recent years.

Victor

Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:14 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Previous Captia Inquiry

Makes sence. Puts screen reader users at the mercy of others though, too bad.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas C. DeCamp
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:47 AM

The entire purpose of a Captcha is to ensure a human being is making the decision.  If any computer program such as JAWS OCR could solve the Catpcha the Captcha  is by definition defective and needs to be made more difficult. I believe this is the reason it should not be technically  possible for JAWS to solve a Captcha.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:34 AM

I agree.  I hope with adding more OCR that will be possible as well as reading the text of images posted on things like face book.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of chris judge
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:43 AM

Yes it would, now that would be a feature worth paying for.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:56 PM

So let us suggest it again.

Eric, how about a captcha-reading capability within Jaws.  That would be nice.  Thank you.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 9/18/2018 3:49 PM, Steve wrote:

I used Webvisum a couple weeks ago, but I don't think it works with anything above Firefox 52. 

I can never seem to get any relevant response from them on their website, so I suspect once that version of Firefox is gone, we're going to have to use something like Rumola or one of the other Captcha solutions, for those sites that don't provide an alternative; or whose alternative audio is so garbled as to be useless.

I suggested to Mr. Damery a few years ago that a captcha-reading capability within Jaws would be nice, but to no avail.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:41 PM

I’ve never had success with Webvism and the add-on is not supported anymore anyway, so I’m not going to suggest that.

To be honest I’ve never successfully solved this problem without sighted assistance, if there is no audio option.

Sometimes even when there is an audio option, it’s too garbled to make much sense of and the result Is long minutes of frustration and tedium.

But it seems like the audio ones are actually getting better, as a rule.

There are other solving tools for the visual ones. I believe most of them charge a small fee for use and I have  never tried.

Maybe look for something called Rumola. I believe it’s an add-on for Chrome.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: September 18, 2018 8:13 AM
To: jaws-users-list mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Previous Captia Inquiry

Morning all.

I believe that this subject has been approached before, but my sometimers is in high gear today.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to deal with captias on a website. I am applying for a job, and the registration site has a captia at the beginning of the site. Using JAWS 2018 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.