Re: The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

Reed Poynter

Hi Judy,

In your note below, you say, “to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop,.”

From this, I have assumed that you already have the app’s icon on the desktop and you want to assign a shortcut key to it.  So, you are not looking for the Send-To.

In most cases, Alt+enter opens the properties window for the selected item.  If you have a shortcut selected on the desktop, Alt+Enter should open a properties window for that shortcut.  I’ve used Windows from Windows 3.1 and can’t think of a version of Windows where this hasn’t worked.  Not that I’ve seen every install of Windows.

      As with the Shift+F10 and the Right-Click, the Alt+Enter is context sensitive.  In some instances, the Shift+10 will give you the selection you are looking for other times it will not.

Regarding the Right-Click, the mouse has to be sitting on the icon that you want to work with before you can use the right-click.  on my Windows 10 with JAWS 2018,  when I try to route the JAWS Cursor to the pc cursor, it doesn’t work.  So when I do a right-click, the menu choices I get are regarding the desktop itself rather than the icon I am sitting on.

For me, I can get to the selected icon’s properties with Alt+Enter or Shift+F10.  If I use Shift+10, I hit the Up-Arrow one time to find Properties.

In the properties window, I can assign a shortcut key.

Reed