Re: The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

My experience is definitely different from yours. I know it’s possible to configure both keys that share the same name (whether alt, windows or whatever) to do different things, but they seldom do, and the windows key seems the least likely of all of them to be so differently configured. Certainly Microsoft didn’t set it up that way; right now I can use right-or-left-windows key to open the search/start box, or combinations like windows-b, windows-w,  windows-a, etc, using either key, and the result is exactly the same. That’s been the case on every desktop I’ve ever had at least. I’m no expert on laptops and the last time I borrowed one I ended up plugging my desktop keyboard into it! *grins*

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy Jones
Sent: September 19, 2018 2:39 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

Yes, but I haven’t seen a keyboard yet whose “right-windows” key gives the same options as the left-windows key, and I’ve been using systems since 1997.  However, there are so many keyboards and computers out there now.  Most keyboards have 2 ctrl, 2 alt, and 2 windows-keys, but those having different functions.  But technically, you are right, the application key.

Judy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2018 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

Hi.

Do you mean the applications key?

The right windows key does the same thing as the left windows key – that is, open cortana/start/search box.

To get the functions of the applications key (which sometimes can be reached by right-clicking, but not always), try shift-f10.

I know some laptops have the function keys mapped to do other things, so you’ll have to make sure you have regular access to those first. I think this is what the “fn” key is usually for, but maybe see particular instructions on your laptop model.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy Jones
Sent: September 19, 2018 12:09 PM
Subject: [jaws-users] The Dell computer doesn't have a right-windows key.

One of the computers we now have is a Dell, and this laptop does not have a right-windows button.  I’ve tried the right-mouse button, hoping to come up with the same options, but they are not the same.  For instance, to make a shortcut key to an app on the desktop, I have always right-clicked with the right-windows button, gon into Properties, and the Shortcut Key tab.  However, the right-mouse button on this dell does not get me to the properties.

So I guess I’m asking two questions.  1) What is the equivalent of the right-windows button on this Dell, and how can I creat shortcut keys on the desktop without right-clicking.  Again, the right-mouse button does not offer the same options.

Thanks very much.

Judy

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.