Re: Emojis

Victor Gouveia

I really can’t explain this.

I’m using Windows 10, 1903, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Jaws 2019 version 1907.

I don’t know whether my Jaws is the current version or not, but while Jaws does not speak the fact the Emoji panel has popped up, which I believe it’s supposed to, when I arrow up, down, left or right, I am able to see, so to speak, the various Emoji characters, and when I press enter on the Emoji character I want to place into the message, I press escape key, and the panel goes away and the character is there where my cursor was.  If I want to add more than one character, I simply keep pressing enter on the various characters I want to insert, then when I’m done selecting, I simply escape from the panel, and again, my various Emoji characters are placed in line with my cursor position.

I do have to stress, even before Windows included this panel, there was an Emoticon panel located at the end of the insert ribbon when composing a message, whether it be a reply, forward or simply a new message, the Emoticon insertion was always there, but I do have to say, the new panel displayed with the Windows key+semi-colon is much more easier, both to navigate and insert, so kudos to Microsoft for this.  😎

Victor

Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 9:08 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Emojis

Most of us got there. The problem is adding one in the email. Does not work with jaws or issue with adding emoji.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of david
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 6:46 PM

Hello;

I'm using latest jaws, outlook 2016,

here's what I figured out.

first create new message, ctrl+n=new,

or, you could do a reply, ctrl+r=reply,

in the body of the message, do the following,

1, Windows-key+semi colon,

2, Windows-key+apostraphy,

you now should hear;

Emoji panel is opened,

3, you need to right arrow to find the group of Emoji's,

4, enter on the group you want,

now use the tab key, then arrow you should find the list of Emoji's.

hope this helps a little.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mr. Ed
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 6:07 PM

Hi Judy,

I have the same thing as you do and putting emoji on an email use to work fine. But today as I try it I have not been able to make it work. Not sure what has changed.

Mr. Ed 

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Judy Jones
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:52 PM

I am using Jaws 19, Windows 10, Outlook 10.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Victor Gouveia
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 7:33 PM

Judy, I’m curious, what version of Jaws are you running?

I’m using the latest one and It’s speaking out the Emoji's just fine.

Is it possible you’re using something other than HTML to compose your messages?

Victor

Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:22 PM

Subject: [jaws-users] Emojis

Hello, Rebecca and All,

You are correct, and very happy to tell you that windowskey semi-colon indeed brings up Emojis you can choose from, but Jaws does not speak anything, unless you input a character first, then you can use Jawskey and arrow to hear the choices.  Simply arrowing through what you have inserted will not read anything.

Again, I am using Outlook 10 with Windows 10.

Thank you all for leading me to try other things.  Right off the bat, when Jaws was silent, I was assuming I had no Emojis available, but when I had some time, started experimenting a little.

Again Jaws will read nothing unless you insert something, then you can use the jaws plus arrow keys to hear your selections you made.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.