Re: Sudden gibberish in "say all" with JAWS and Chrome

JM Casey

Apparently, chrome is *getting* a reader mode, at least according to an article I found from April of this year. Until then though, you may be able to find an extension to do this. Someone who uses Chrome more than I do (I’m 90% a firefox user still) might want to chime in.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: August 13, 2019 9:51 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Sudden gibberish in "say all" with JAWS and Chrome

I haven't, but you could try using the sites with FireFox and use F9 to put it in reader mode.

If Chrome has a reader mode, I would like to know how to invoke it.

Glenn

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:03 AM

I’ve made no changes overnight to my system, and yet this morning, all of a sudden, JAWS has started interrupting “say all” with frequent bursts of gibberish. For example, it just now verbalized “617 s p a c e” before resuming reading regular text. When I quote a phrase like that, it might not seem like much, but these interruptions are very distracting, in part because it takes me several listens to interpret what’s being said.

I first experienced it today on the New York Times website and figured the Times had made yet one more accessibility-challenging website update. However, it’s happening on the second website I’ve visited, one that requires a password to enter.

I’m using the latest release of JAWS 2019 along with Windows 10 and, again, Chrome. I’ve rebooted twice to make sure all applications are in synch.

My workaround is to copy Website text to Notepad, but I don’t want to have to take this extra step every time.

Anyone else encountering this annoyance?