Re: Saving pdf as a Word Document and uncompressing it.

Victor Gouveia

The only way around this is to save the PDF onto your hard drive, such as your downloads folder or your documents folder then closing the internet session, then going into the folder you saved the PDF document and opening it from there, at which point, the document should open and should display properly without the Open Parent document button.

You should also be able to save it as another format, though I’m not sure if the standard reader allows this or not, but the pro version does.

Good luck.

Victor

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:19 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Saving pdf as a Word Document and uncompressing it.

Mike:
The problem I am coming up against is that the file is a download from a website. When I press spacebar on the link, that is when I get the parent document message. And when that comes up, there is nothing after that I can use any arrow keys for. As for the opening of the document and saving it, I tried going through the menu bar, but the save as option is not there; as well as going through the applications/shift f10 keys. Thanks for the reply, though.
Jerry
“When someone calls you up on the phone offering you life insurance, or prepaid burial insurance, do you ever wonder what it is that they know that you don’t?”

Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:33 PM

Hi Jerry,

When you come to the Parent Document button, if you down arrow is the PDF file there for you to read?  Also, you can give this a try to save the file.
1. n the Parent Document file press, Alt + F, to open the file menu.
2. Down arrow to, Save as..., and press enter.
3. Tab 1 time to, save as type, to make sure Adobe PDF is selected, tab a couple times to the, save button, and press the spacebar or enter.  Now check your Documents folder for the download.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that somebody screwed up.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:02 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. Now, I know that there was a posting for “open parent document”, with a button immediately after it. However, I cannot seem to get the document open. Any ideas/suggestions on this one? Thanks again.

Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:13 PM

Good luck.

I’m not sure the free Adobe Reader can do this at all.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: August 7, 2019 4:07 PM

Yes. That is exactly what I want to do. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks.

Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 3:04 PM

Jerry.

See this page. Maybe it will help you clarify.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/acrobat/using/overview-pdf-portfolios.html

So I guess the question remains: What exactly do you want to do? Do you want these files extracted from the portfolio?

Speaking for myself, I have never actually seen or worked with this type of pdf before, but, they exist, and it uses its own compression scheme to pack the files together. So, not a zip file; the reason your context menu items are not the same.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of jyandt.martin@...
Sent: August 7, 2019 3:42 PM

Okay. I have the portfolio saved under another folder. When I go to the folder, and right arrow, it first gives me the created date; then it says “type adobe Acrobat document”. Then I open that folder and I get more subfolders. When I right arrow to the information, I used to get the date, and the type. But it does not list this information now. I even tried closing all of my documents files and folder, and reopening them, but it does no good. Very puzzling/aggravating.

Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:25 PM

Hm, isn’t there also such a thing as a “comprssed pdf” file, though?

So I guess the question is, is this really a zip file you are looking at?

If it is a zip file, you can actually open it like you would any other folder by pressing enter. If you want the files located/copies elsewhere, all you would have to do is hit ctrl-a to select all, ctrl-c to copy, then move to/open your folder of choice and paste the items there.

Again though, it sounds like this might be a different sort of compressed animal entirely.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: August 7, 2019 3:17 PM

Hi,

Are you trying to open / extract it with Adobe?

You should extract files in a windows file folder first, and then go to that folder to find your file.

Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 2:12 PM

To: jaws-users-list

Subject: [jaws-users] Saving pdf as a Word Document and uncompressing it.

Afternoon all.

Using JAWS latest version, Word 13 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop.

I downloaded a compressed portfolio of different files. I have been attempting to unzip the files, and when I press the applications option, I do get the choice for extracting from portfolio. When I press enter on this, it brings up a dialogue for saving it. But not for extracting it. Also, using the shift f10 applications process, I used to get an option for saving it as a word document. But not now. Any ideas/suggestions will be welcome. I am also using Adobe Acrobat DC. Thanks.

Jerry

“The three things that are most commonly asked for, but never truly wanted, are advice, opinions and the truth.”

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.