Re: Searching my computer in windows-10

Kevin <kleeva5@...>

If you're using the search box on the Start menu, you often get better results if you search for a specific category of results.

One way of limiting  a search to a category is by typing the category followed by a colon followed by your search terms. For example, if you are looking

for a document which is either named fred or contains the word fred, you can type doc:fred. You can use the following words to specify the category which

is searched: app, doc, folder, music, photo, setting, video, and web. Where appropriate you can also use the plural form of these words, so for example,

you could search using either app:fred or apps:fred. You can also use document rather than doc, if you really want to type the extra letters.

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 4:36 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Searching my computer in windows-10

One of the things about windows-10 that is driving me crazy is searching my computer for a particular file or document. In windows-7, it was very simple to do this – go to the start menu and type your search term in the edit box. Windows would search your computer and show you a list of possible files or documents. Now when I do this I may see one document then a bunch of things on the Web that bing has helpfully found for me. I do not, repeat not, want to search the Web using this method and and I don’t want bing to do my searching. How do I go back to the days of yesteryear and just search my computer rather than seeing web choices?

Thanks. John

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.