Re: Jaws friendly laptop

Glenn / Lenny

John,
I should add that I am not knocking Acer laptops.
I have another Acer laptop here with Windows 7 and I love the layout.
I think Acer makes a great laptop.
I like Dell's laptops, but I think that their desktop computers are crap in my opinion.
Dell hasn't done well with good driver support for its hardware in desktop computers, and I don't think they have the best components.
But their laptops seem quite good, as far as quality.
But all manufacturers make different models and they are always changing, and if someone is looking for a new computer, it is pretty hard to ask for opinions on brands and models, as most people with a computer that can tell you about it, are using one a year or more old, and this won't help you in your search, since they are changing all the time.
So if you do order one "feel untouched", ask about the separation of the keys, and what the F-keys do by default, and if it is not what you want, if that behavior can be changed in the BIOS.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to get on-line and read some reviews of computers and based on that, call the store or the manufacturer and ask them about the form factor.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws friendly laptop

John,
That is what I meant by form factor.
Jaws will work fine on all computers, but there are factors such as the F-keys requiring the FN key to do some of the tasks that we typically do, and I think that on the laptops where this has happened, usually that feature can be turned off in the BIOS, but perhaps someone can let you know if they haven't been able to turn that off.
I think it is important to put my hands on a laptop before buying it.
For example, my wife has an Acer where all the keys touch and there is no easily discernable distinction between all the keys, just lines where the level keys touch.
Even with dots on it, I hate it.
But we ordered it from Best Buy a long time back and I had my brother pick it up and I met him in another town when we could do so, and I would have never picked this laptop for my use, but that is what happens when you buy one ""feel untouched" you might say.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Jaws friendly laptop

Well the layout of the keys can differ. As for the keypad thing. Only once and that's on my Dell Enspiron 3840 desktop have I run into the issue of not being able to use the num pad as is for JAWS. It doesn't even have the on and off key. But than again it is a business config.

On 8/5/2019 11:30 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
John,
I really don't think any of the variables you are considering will be of concern.
Jaws will work on pretty much computer running Windows.
The thing for you to be concerned about is the form factor of the computer and if you are comfortable with it.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2019 10:10 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] Jaws friendly laptop

List, my Toshiba laptop is in need of replacement.

Have any of you on the list recently purchased a new 15.6 inch screen laptop computer that works well with jaws?

I would like another laptop that has a built in keypad.

Also, has jaws worked well with the new solid state drives?

Thanks for any help.

Like many of us using jaws and access technology for the last 28 years, can remember in the past being sure we got a laptop with the right kind of video card and audio card.  That said my current Toshiba was bought off Amazon with standard video and audio card.

Again, thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

John in sunny southwest Florida

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.