Re: Copying a File Path

Rebecca Lineberger

Adrian,

Yes, so I discovered!  LOL. 

Normally if I need to check a file path to distinguish one version of a document from another, I do a search in File Explorer (or in Windows Explorer in Windows 7 when I had it) and when I found the files I needed, right arrowing would give me the date, size and file location. 

As to your point, I absolutely agree.  It’s always best for us to know as much as possible about the OS or programs that we use.  And since Microsoft is always improving things, smile, this learning experience never ends.

Rebecca

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 7:53 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Copying a File Path

Rebecca, I want to pick up on just one point in your post. In Windows 7, as in Windows 10, we tend to assume that the applications key, shift-F10 and the simulated right-mouse click all bring up the same menu. Usually they do, but sometimes there are discrepancies. I wish I could think of an example, but none comes to mind beyond what you talk about here. It’s worth emphasizing this point because sometimes going through all three menus can bring up what we’re looking for.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rebecca Lineberger
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 1:41 AM
To: JAWS Users List <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] Copying a File Path

I apologize if this repeats information already given. I send this along because others may have been working under the same incorrect assumption that I was.  Smile.

Maybe this is something though that has changed with Windows 10 and I never knew!  Thank you Microsoft!  LOL.

I’ve always used the application or context menu key, since it’s easier for my hands than shift-f10.  I’d always thought that the two were equivalent.  But, at least on my system (Windows 1803) they don’t seem to be.  Sigh.  And maybe I’ve never noticed because I’ve always gone to properties to get a file path.  Now there’s a much quicker way!  Smile.

With just the context menu key, I get a menu of choices, just as a sighted person gets when they right-click with the mouse.  But when I add shift to the press of the context menu key (or just press shift-f10, as people have to do who have no application or context menu key) there it is, as is explained in the article below—except that it’s written for mouse-users, so they talk about shift-right-clicking.

Quick Tip: Use the Right-Click Menu to Copy a File Path

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/copy-file-path-windows/

By

Jim Tanous

on August 1, 2017 at 10:24 AM

Sometimes you need to make a note of the exact path of a file in Windows when, for example, troubleshooting an issue, editing batch scripts, programming,

or simply for file management purposes.

Instead of typing out a file’s path by hand, or trying to grab it from the file or folder’s Properties window, why not use a quick and easy Windows trick?

When you right-click on a file by default, this is what you see (your right-click menu may look different based on your version of Windows and the applications

installed on your PC):

windows 10 right click menu

But if instead you press and hold the Shift key before right-clicking, you’ll instead see this:

windows 10 copy as path

It’s a similar list of commands, but notice that new one highlighted in red? That’s right, when you Shift + Right-Click on a file or folder, you’ll get

a new option to Copy as Path. Instead of copying the file, this puts the file’s path in your clipboard, where you can then paste it wherever it’s needed.

windows 10 cmd paste path

Nothing groundbreaking, for sure, but it’s a handy, relatively unknown tip that can make many file-based tasks much quicker to deal with.

I hope this helps others as it did me.  Smile.

Rebecca

A mind is like a parachute.  It doesn't work if it isn't open.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.