Re: Pathways to Literary- Laptop Command Guide

Rebecca Lineberger

In case this is helpful:

In the JAWS help menu, there is an entry for

JAWS keyboard commands.

Also this information is posted online, with a button to download.

https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Manuals/JAWS/Keystrokes.pdf

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Lemly
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2019 11:24 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Cc: 'Michelle Ritholz Bernstein'
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Pathways to Literary- Laptop Command Guide

Hi Michelle and List,

While I have no experience with the Pathways to Literary site you linked, I can confirm that I was able to download the lessons in one 89-page PDF file from that site with no charge. I'll leave it to you to decide whether the lessons help you learn JAWS.

I would strongly recommend you create a JAWS shortcut key file to have a reference of the hotkeys you use most frequently with JAWS. I have found that Microsoft Excel works best for maintaining tabular data since it can easily be sorted and can be configured to read column headings and row titles with JAWS. I am constantly opening my Excel file to refresh my memory of hotkeys I use most frequently. I would also urge you to monitor this list daily. I've gotten the majority of my JAWS training from reading posts here and making notes of the hotkeys learned here.

Good luck with your learning.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michelle Bernstein
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2019 8:25 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Pathways to Literary- Laptop Command Guide

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your very helpful responses about whether to purchase an external keyboard with a num pad for my laptop.  I have decided to go ahead and teach myself JAWS with the laptop commands instead of the desk top commands.  We will see how it goes- big smile!

I found this online guide to learning JAWS with laptop commands put out by an organization called Pathways to Literary.  Is anyone familiar with this organization? At first perusal, the guide looks very helpful for beginners like me and here is the link:

I am listening to the beginner audio tutorials from JAWS which are helpful, but seem dated with their references to DVD installations and JAWS version 9 and so forth. Not sure why a more current version is unavailable, but perhaps it is not necessary as the basic commands do not vary much over time.

Thanks again for all your assistance. It is much appreciated.

Regards, Michelle

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.