Re: Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Angel

If you turn off the laptop monitor.  Or have it to turn itself off after a set amount of minutes, will that effect the performance of the screen reader?  Or does the screen readers require the monitor to be on to work satisfactorily.  I would love to be able to turn off my lap top monitor, as I use to turn off my desk top monitor.  But, should my screen reader not work, when I did this, how would any sighted person assist to turn it back on again.  If the Jaws should fail to work.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 1:10 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Well what else can you do? ignore them. (smile) I know how that feels. I used to use a laptop that I’d borrow from the testing center at school. Their keyboard didn’t have a numpad which made using the screen reader rather difficult. Eventually I had to switch to a full pc The only reason I had to use the laptop for a while was because there were issues with getting the screen reader software installed on the pcs, that is, until they had changed their policy. Now all computers have screen readers, in the library, computer labs, Etc and I no longer have to deal with those scronny laptop keyboards. So basically, just do what you feel you have to do and ignore those who poke fun at you about carrying around an external keyboard.