Re: Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Judy Jones

Yep, my husband just got a Thinkpad, same thing, no num pad, no problem, Use caps-lock with numbers 7 or 8 to simulate left or right mouse buttons.  Caps-lock p for Jaws cursor, and caps-lock left bracket to root Jaws to PC.

Judy

“Embrace the day with its mercies and blessings.”

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:33 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

That is always nice, but sometimes we don't want a laptop that big.

Plus that makes for a more expensive laptop.

I've gotten to where I can use a 10 inch laptop if I have some dots on a few specific keys.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 1:28 PM

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

No I think the best thing is to get a laptop with a number on it

On Aug 1, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Judy Jones <sonshines59@...> wrote:

O pooh!  Plus, you would want a key combination you could do with one hand.

Judy

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:08 AM

I looked in keyboard manager, and I cannot find anything for the escape function, or alt + F4 to add to insert + enter.

There's no insert + enter to add alt + F4 to either.

There is control + W that I could set to do when doing insert + enter, but that would not close an eMail message.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:52 PM

Let us know if it works, or could you do it with a key closer to the insert, assuming you’re talking about the num pad?  I don’t know about remapping, although I understand generally what it is.  I have done it on my Android phone.

Judy

Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 10:50 AM

Maybe I could remap insert + enter to do the escape function.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:47 PM

One handed is good sometimes, I sometimes like to read web pages or eMails while eating.

The only thing the number pad lacks is an escape key when reading messages.

If there is an unused key combination on the number pad I have considered making a key map for escape for it.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:41 PM

Yes, of course that works, its just that you can do this with one hand using the num pad insert key.   But that laptop layout is great, and my preferred.

Judy

Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 10:32 AM

Judy,

With laptop layout I use caps lock plus up arrow to read current line.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:28 PM

Oh yes, very doable, and quicker to adapt than you might think.

It is true you don’t have to move your hands, as much off the keys when using the laptop layout, but I also like hitting the insert key with the arrow-up, right there together when wanting to read current line.  Otherwise, I mostly use the laptop layout, and use the desktop layout when the keycombinations I need are close to the num pad.

Judy

Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 10:18 AM

I don't know why anyone would prefer to navigate with the number pad, it's a longer reach than the four arrow keys.

But it does take a concerted effort to make the change I know, because I too used to carry around a desktop keyboard with a laptop, but it was mostly for the bigger spaces between the keys than it was for the number pad.

But it is good for the brain to learn to adapt.

I'm sure I could adapt to laptop keyboards without dots on some of the keys if I had to.

Glenn

Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 12:10 PM

Well what else can you do? ignore them. (smile) I know how that feels. I used to use a laptop that I’d borrow from the testing center at school. Their keyboard didn’t have a numpad which made using the screen reader rather difficult. Eventually I had to switch to a full pc. The only reason I had to use the laptop for a while was because there were issues with getting the screen reader software installed on the pcs, that is, until they had changed their policy. Now all computers have screen readers, in the library, computer labs, Etc and I no longer have to deal with those scronny laptop keyboards. So basically, just do what you feel you have to do and ignore those who poke fun at you about carrying around an external keyboard.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 8:40 AM

I too use an external full size desk top keyboard with my Lenovo laptop.

Back when I originally learned how to use JAWS; they taught me on a full size desktop keyboard. Although today; I wish I’d of learned on a laptop keyboard. I’ve tried learning the laptop keyboard, but I just don’t have the patience.

People probably think I’m nuts; when I’m traveling with my laptop in its laptop bag; with a full sized desktop keyboard sticking out of it! But whatcha gonna do?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 8:33 AM

Hi Michelle,

This is really one of those personal preference things. However, if you are only going to use your laptop with JAWS and you haven't been using JAWS on a desktop computer, then I think it would be just fine to learn and use the laptop settings.

When I got my laptop, I bought an external keyboard with a numpad because I also use a desktop here at home and a ⠙⠑⠎⠅⠞⠕⠏ when volunteering. I know I'm a wimp, but switching all the time between the two layouts would have made me go silly!

Good Luck!

Debby

On Aug 1, 2019 7:56 AM, Michelle Bernstein <hamletsweetlady@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.