Re: Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Hi Michelle:

It is a matter of personal preference, I can only tell you what I, as a long-time JAWS user, do.  First, I always use laptop keyboard configuration, even on my desktop and full keyboard, which allows me to use the keystroke CapsLock+I to read the line the same as Insert-UpArrow on the numpad, but I am used to have my right hand on the numpad since I began using JAWS in 1989, so on my laptop I normally use an external keyboard with numpad.

Humberto

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michelle Bernstein
Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:56 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein