Re: Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Mike Ulrich

I too use an external full size desk top keyboard with my Lenovo laptop.

Back when I originally learned how to use JAWS; they taught me on a full size desktop keyboard. Although today; I wish I’d of learned on a laptop keyboard. I’ve tried learning the laptop keyboard, but I just don’t have the patience.

People probably think I’m nuts; when I’m traveling with my laptop in its laptop bag; with a full sized desktop keyboard sticking out of it! But whatcha gonna do?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Debby Hill
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2019 8:33 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Hi Michelle,

This is really one of those personal preference things. However, if you are only going to use your laptop with JAWS and you haven't been using JAWS on a desktop computer, then I think it would be just fine to learn and use the laptop settings.

When I got my laptop, I bought an external keyboard with a numpad because I also use a desktop here at home and a ⠙⠑⠎⠅⠞⠕⠏ when volunteering. I know I'm a wimp, but switching all the time between the two layouts would have made me go silly!

Good Luck!

Debby

On Aug 1, 2019 7:56 AM, Michelle Bernstein <hamletsweetlady@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Michelle Bernstein

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.