Re: Is it worth learning the adaptations for a laptop or instead buy an external keyboard with a numpad?

Debby Hill

Hi Michelle,

This is really one of those personal preference things. However, if you are only going to use your laptop with JAWS and you haven't been using JAWS on a desktop computer, then I think it would be just fine to learn and use the laptop settings.

When I got my laptop, I bought an external keyboard with a numpad because I also use a desktop here at home and a ⠙⠑⠎⠅⠞⠕⠏ when volunteering. I know I'm a wimp, but switching all the time between the two layouts would have made me go silly!

Good Luck!

Debby

On Aug 1, 2019 7:56 AM, Michelle Bernstein <hamletsweetlady@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am beginning to learn JAWS, having used Zoomtext as my reader for many years.

I use a laptop which does not have a numpad.

The JAWS support page offers an audio tutorial on how to modify my keystrokes for a laptop.

Would you recommend that I teach myself these modifications or instead purchase an external keyboard with a numpad which plugs into the laptop by a USB port?

Regards, Michelle Bernstein