Re: Identifying the folder of a doc

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

So there’s no “location” listed in the general tab?

Sorry it’s getting repetitive, I just have never seen anything like this and can’t even understand how this could be happening.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: September 9, 2018 5:31 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] Identifying the folder of a doc

No, it just shows the file name without the path.

Glenn

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2018 4:26 PM

That’s curious. It just doesn’t show up in the box with the other properties?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: September 9, 2018 5:23 PM

I shouldn't have just written that the properties don't work for me.

I meant that they don't work for me to get the path, unless the file is open.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2018 4:14 PM

We’re talking about file/Windows  explorer right?

It has worked the same since at least Windows 98.

You should be able to navigate to a file using arrows, first letter navigation, or whatever.

The file should then be selected.

If you hit alt-enter there, the properties box should open, containing the various tabs (that part is different as there used to be only two or so in old versions of windows). From there, you can use JAWS cursor, insert-b, virtualise window, or whatever you need.

Checking drive properties within explorer should work basically the same way.

Sent: September 9, 2018 5:09 PM

The properties don't work for me unless the file in question is open.

But when the file is open and under the File menu, and in that properties, you may need to do shift + control + Tab to get to the General window, mine did not open in General properties, or otherwise, shift + tab to the title of the window and left arrow to General.

It is there that I get the path.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2018 4:02 PM

Did you try alt-enter to see the properties of the file?

When I use the explorer search box to find a file, and press the applications key, I see both “open file location” and “properties” near the very bottom of the list. What happens when you press up arrow once or twice?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of wayne smith
Sent: September 9, 2018 4:45 PM

Reed, the issue seems to be that neither the aps key or shift f10 give me anything but things like; cut paste select all so I am stuck.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Reed Poynter
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2018 1:25 PM

When you have your search result, rather than opening the file, hit Alt-Enter to view the properties of the file and you will find its file location.  Or, the long way, hit Shift+f10 and arrow around until you find properties.

Hope this is correct?

Reed

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: September 8, 2018 9:47 PM

Hi Glenn,

No such thing as, Stupid Obvious!  There's just too many ways of doing various tasks' and having lists' like this helps us keep on our toes, so we're reminded of things we've forgotten or learn new ways.  Way back when after I first joined this list, I had so many questions, I think I drove David & Rick nuts!  LOL  But, back then I would always tell people, There's no such thing as a stupid question, the only stupid question is the question that isn't asked!  BTW, I'm running Windows 7 Pro, Outlook Express, & J16.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2018 9:01 PM

Well, that was stupid obvious.

I wish I had thought of that.

I think you can do control + C when you are on top of it in the search list.

good catch Mike.

Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2018 10:55 PM

Hi Wayne,

Something you can try is, when you do a search, and you find the file copy it and put it somewhere that you can / know where it's located until you figure out where it was at.  Or, with this file highlighted press, Shift + F10, to open the extended context menu, find the, Copy Path, option or something similar and press enter.  This will copy the file path to the clipboard, now paste into Notepad to see where it's located.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2018 4:37 PM

Subject: [jaws-users] Identifying the folder of a doc

Hello- 

I did a search for an old MS Word doc from several years ago and opened it but I do not know which folder it came from. I have Windows 7 and MS Word 2007 and wondered if there is a way to locate the folder that the document came from?

Wayne

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.