Re: Splitting a Word file while using JAWS

Brian Lee

Hello Adrian,

Sometimes using draft view and stopping background repagination helps speed up navigating in Word.  I don’t know if doing those things will help but you might want to try.  You cannot stop the repagination of a large document in print view as Word needs to continually show pages the way they would be if printed.  You can switch to draft view under the view tab of the ribbon.  To stop background repagination you first need to be in draft view or the option doesn’t even show in the advanced category of the Word options.  After changing to draft view go into the Word options and choose the advanced category.  One of the last groups in this category is General.  It is faster to repeatedly use shift Tab to get to the General group. There will be a “enable background repagination” checkbox that you can uncheck and then use OK.  While in draft view you won’t get the information about the placement of the text or graphics and how the pages will appear if printed.  For example, in print view you might use Alt with delete to hear that the cursor is one inch from the left.  In draft view you might hear that it is at 0 inches.  When you change back to print view the repagination will start again.

I don’t know if this will help but it might be worth checking it out.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianllee@...