Re: JAWS Shutdown Sound

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Two thoughts, those of you who did the registry fix, did you then assign a sound in your sound scheme?
Do you have fast startup checked? That may nullify the sound settings.
Those comparing other screen readers exit sounds with Jaws, as Rick I think it was, pointed out, Jaws says something about exiting since the screen reader is dumped before the system finishes shutting down.
I have had situations where something else was blocking shut down, so even if Jaws or anything else had a sound, it wouldn't have helped.
Hence my method of checking the CD drive, or if no CD drive, then plugging in a usb device might get a sound.
The bottom line here is that only Freedom Scientific can say if a shut down sound can be added via script, or anything else.
Just my opinion.
Later
Richard

On Jun 21, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Gerald Levy via Groups.Io <bwaylimited@...> wrote:

Exactly.?? So if a shutdown or unloading sound can be incorporated into this alternate screen reader, I see no technical reason why JAWS couldn't include one, also.

Gerald

On 6/21/2019 11:21 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
When I shut down the computer with NVDA running, I hear the NVDA unload sound, and if I did not exit NVDA, that means the computer is shutting down.
Glenn

Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] JAWS Shutdown Sound

Hi Gerald,
You are making a comparison of the operating system versus an application.
Jaws and Openbook are both applications,and if neither are running at the
time Windows shuts
down, you would still not have any indication that Windows is doing so.
So, adding a shutdown sound to Jaws would not be a reliable indicator.
On my systems, when I execute a shutdown command , Jaws notifies me that
Windows is shutting down and I am about to be logged out.

HTH,
Rick Justice

"Tomorrow's another day, another way!"
"and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!"