Re: jaws stops reading article because of an edit field

Glenn / Lenny

Miriam,
I wonder if your computer is low on RAM.
I would try installing an older Jaws and see if it happens with that older version.
Also, which browser are you using when this happens?
Perhaps FireFox or Chrome would be a better choice.
They operate just about exactly the same as IE, and I'm finding IE working less and less well on many sites, and if that is your browser, it could be part of the problem.
Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] jaws stops reading article because of an edit field

No.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 2:11 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io

Miriam,

Do you get the pong sound when going into and out of an edit field?

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:50 PM

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Miriam

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 1:06 PM

And if one has trouble getting out of the edit box, you can press the escape key and go on arrowing down the page.

Glenn

Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2019 12:00 PM

Miriam, again, try pressing the PC cursor key twice quickly when this happens. I figured you had forms mode set to automatic. You shouldn’t have to change that setting if this is the only problem you’re experiencing with it.

For the record, I find having forms mode set to manual makes navigation easier, but each of us has our own experience to guide us. You’ll find the options in JAWS quick settings, JAWS key+v, while you’re in your browser’s window.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Miriam Vieni
Sent: Sunday, June 9, 2019 9:57 AM

I had it set to turn the forms mode on automatically before, but this never happened before. Also, the person who was supposed to be helping me and who had to leave, told me it was best to remove the previous version because with Jaws 2019, I didn’t need the previous versions. I wasn’t comfortable with that, but I assumed, at that point, that he knew more than I did.

Miriam

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 11:50 PM

Hi Miriam,

It sounds like your, Forms Mode, is set to turn on automatically when you come to an edit field.  I don't know what setting you prefer, but if you only want the Forms Mode to open when you want it to, let the list know and someone can provide steps.  Or, steps can be provided to transfer your settings from your previous version into this newer Jaws version, if possible depending on which Jaws version you were running previously and if it's still installed.  Transferring your settings would probably be your best option, if possible.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.  Go dodgers!
No one has more to say than the woman who says she doesn't want to talk about it. 

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:28 PM

Try pressing the PC cursor twice quickly.

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Miriam Vieni
Sent: Saturday, June 8, 2019 9:35 PM
To: jaws users list <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] jaws stops reading article because of an edit field

There's a newsletter called Truthout and toward the end of each article, there's a kind of insert where the reader is told that he or she can receive a daily summary by filling out the following form. There's then a place for one's email address and , if I remember correctly, a sign up button. Before my calamitous move to Jaws 2019, I was able to just arrow through that form quickly and resume reading the rest of the article which continues underneath it. Now, I can't do that any longer. I'm stuck there. I can't go back above it and use insert 2 to just read everything. I can't get to the bottom of the article and arrow up. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Another issue, Jaws is set at intermediate verbosity, where it was before. I often copy articles and post them on the Blind Democracy list. I have a routine way of doing that. I've copied the article into the message. I then go to the top of the message where the title is, copy the title, and shift tab once to the subject line where I paste the title. I can still do that.
However, Jaws is not saying shift tab as it did before. It says nothing when I press those 2 keys in that situation.

Another thing it has stopped doing, it doesn't tell me that I'm in the original message after I've replied to a message. I can find out, but it almost never tells me that automatically.

Perhaps this is all just a punishment for still having a Windows 7 computer?

Miriam

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.