Re: needing a checking program

Hi Vicki,

I understand the necessity of exporting my Quicken qif information for each financial account housed in Quicken. I was able to export my checking account without any difficulty even though Money Talks only imported the first 20 or so transactions due to it being a trial. I'm more confused how to get a complete financial picture with Money Talks since it seems to require maintaining separate files for each of your accounts. The other thing about Money Talks I'm finding confusing is that unlike Quicken, it seems to want you to save your file every time a new transaction has been entered or an old transaction has been edited. This is more like a spreadsheet program and will require some adjustment since Quicken automatically saves anything you do in it and does not prompt you to save anything when exiting the program.

I do like Money Talks and its navigable User Manual on their website. I expect I'll get many of my questions answered after I read the entire user manual. I wish I could purchase a registered copy today but APH requires calling over the phone and providing a credit card number live so I'll have to wait until Monday when they're open again.

Alan

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2019 8:14 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] needing a checking program

Hi Alan,

What you need to do is export your Quicken accounts as separate export files. I only use Quicken for my checking and savings, so if you go into the export submenu of Quicken, it will give you the option of exporting checking, savings or all. You cannot select all. Instead, you select checking and then savings or the other way around. This will give you two QIF files and you import them separately to Money Talks.

For some reason it didn't let me name them on the import and the name I chose for each one didn't show up. That may be only because I'm using the demo.

Hope This makes sense.

Vicki

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, June 07, 2019 1:45 PM

Robin and All,

I've been a long-time user of Quicken as well but admit that Money Talks sounds promising after reading through its user's manual at this link:

https://tech.aph.org/mt_info.htm

I got a bit confused when I read that Money Talks only imports qif or csv files for one account at a time whereas Quicken will let you export multiple account data. I'm not sure if this means that Money Talks requires you to keep separate files for your checking account, credit card, savings account, investment accounts, etc. whereas Quicken keeps all of these accounts in the same file. I guess I'll learn more about this if I continue exploring but if anyone using Money Talks can comment, I would appreciate it.

Alan Lemly

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2019 9:18 AM

I was a long time Quicken user.  I have downloaded the demo of MoneyTalks from APH.  Others on the list have used it and it seems like it has the features I need.  Havent’ tried it yet, but I think it will be a good replacement for Quicken.  I do believe that it will take the Quicken files so that you can transfer over data. You may need to explore a file fomr Quicken and then import it to MoneyTalks.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, June 7, 2019 8:11 AM

you may want to explore Money Talks from APH.ORG

It is old software, but I've heard it still works in Windows 10 and I believe you can download a free trial version.

It should be able to import the data file from your export or backup from Quicken.

I'm lazy, and let my wife handle Quicken since it does not work at all well with Jaws and we do not need QuickBooks.

HTH,

Richard

Check out my web site at: www.turner42.com

“The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.  There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams, from Life, The Universe and Everything, p.59

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -- Alice Walker

On Jun 7, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Vicki W <vwherry4@...> wrote:

I am using the latest version of JAWS with Windows 10. I have been using a very old version of Quicken on my Windows 7 that works well with the latest JAWS but I'm guessing it won't work well with Windows 10.

Can anyone recommend a program that will work for tracking checking and savings accounts? I'm hoping to get something that will allow me to transfer over my current information, although I realize that will probably have to be an updated Quicken. I was told it doesn't work well with JAWS or Windows 10.

Thanks.

Vicki

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.