Re: new computer / keyboard

chris judge

I’ve only seen this issue with laptops and all-in-ones.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lenny McHugh
Sent: June 4, 2019 12:32 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] new computer / keyboard

this is a desktop computer Is there a problem with these machines?

Sent: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 11:25 AM

Subject: Re: [jaws-users] new computer / keyboard

Not sure if you really need a full sized keyboard, unless that’s your preference, but you will want to check with the computer seller whether he can turn off the media key settings in the bios so that you do not need to press the FN key to get the function keys working as you expect.  In my experience, HP consumer models by default have the function keys doing things like controlling volume and brightness and so on, but business models do not.  Just have the guy give you a tour of the keys to be sure you aren’t missing some critical ones for JAWS commands and be sure pressing the function keys does what you need them to do by default. 

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lenny McHugh
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 8:41 AM
To: JFW List <jaws-users-list@groups.io>
Subject: [jaws-users] new computer / keyboard

I am picking up a used and upgraded computer this afternoon. The computer shop where I normally have a custom built has  a 2 year old hp that now has new ssd drives. He is selling it to me for $350 plus the cost of a 2nd internal sound card for jaws. It is an amd i6 with 12 gb memory. It will have a full 1 year warranty like all of his computers.

Now my question is I believe that someone list a few months ago recommended a full size keyboard. I do not remember if it was microsoft or another brand.

Also the owner will download and install the latest jaws to make sure that it will work with this machine.He has done that for each of the previous computers that he built for me. One time he had to change the mb because the chip set had a problem with jaws. That was about 20 years ago.

---

Please visit my web page

It’s motivational, inspirational with a touch of humor

There is also a very extensive resource list for the blind

https://www.LennyMcHugh.com

International Brotherhood of Magicians member #43990

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.