Re: JAWS not reading Adobe Acrobat Reader DC documents

JOHN RIEHL

Worked perfectly! Thanks, everyone. I’m saving this set of instructions.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rebecca Lineberger
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 6:30 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] JAWS not reading Adobe Acrobat Reader DC documents

Adobe did something that Broke JAWS, as Vispero tech support said, but it’s easily fixed.

Open Adobe, either from the icon on your desktop, or from the start menu.

Press control-k.

Press s till you hear

Security enhanced.

There is a checkbox that says,

Enable protected mode at startup.  It’s checked.  Press the spacebar to uncheck it.

If you get a warning message, that’s okay.  You need to change this to make it work.

Tab to OK.

Tab to OK again.

Now it works as it should.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of JOHN RIEHL via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 5:42 AM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Cc: 'Vispero Technical Support'; Larry Lynn
Subject: [jaws-users] JAWS not reading Adobe Acrobat Reader DC documents

Hi,

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on my new windows-10 computer using the latest version of JAWS. My memory is that, when we tested Adobe a couple of months ago I was able to open and read a .pdf document.

Now, when I open a .pdf document using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, the keyboard seems to be disabled and JAWS does not read the document. I’m unable to arrow around the screen using my keyboard. Interestingly, my friend, who helped me set up the computer, is able to maneuver around the screen using Quick Assist (he’s remoted into my computer) and is able to see documents on the screen.

This behavior is not document specific and is making it impossible for me to read important (to me) .pdf documents.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

Ps If there is an alternative  program to Adobe that will let me successfully read and convert pdf documents to Word, I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.