I tried what you suggested, but no go. The problem persist.
I try JAWS 2018 and encounter no such problem.
Any more ideas? Thanks.

On 29/5/2019 8:26 AM, Mike B wrote:

Hi again Sim Ka,

Let's see if it's a Jaws setting.  Try the following:

Hold down the, Insert key, then press the, spacebar, to activate the layered keystroke feature then press the letter, Z.  This will temporarily bypass your settings and put Jaws into it's factory default settings mode.

If Jaws reads the Settings Center and default all applications correctly while in the factory default settings then it's one of your settings that's causing the weird behavior and now the trick is finding which setting.
This keystroke sequence is a toggle so, press the key combination to go back to your personal settings.

Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] JAWS is silent when moving up and down the item in JAWS settings center

I try everything i know:
1.  Maximize the window
2. Restart JAWS
3. Restart computer
4. Using NVDA which can read the items.
Any other ideas? Thanks

John 14:6

On 29 May 2019, at 7:31 AM, Mike B <mb69mach1@...> wrote:

Is your window maximized?  Press, Windows key + up arrow, to maximize or, press, Alt + spacebar, to open the system menu then press the letter, X, to maximize.

Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:20 PM

Hi Mike

Same thing happen. When I down arrow, JAWS says:

Tree view
1 of 25
To move through or expand items use the Arrow keys.

JAWS fails to say "user" which is the first item.

On 29/5/2019 7:08 AM, Mike B wrote:

Don't press the tab key, just down arrow after you open the Settings Centor or Settings Center default all applications.

Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 3:52 PM

Thank you for responding.

I tried what you suggested, but no help.

When I go to settings center, and after presseing control shift D, tab once, JAWS only says

Tree view
1 of 25
To move through or expand items use the Arrow keys.

JAWS does not say "User" which is the first item.

When I arrow down, JAWS is silent.

Please help. Thanks.

On 29/5/2019 1:16 AM, Mike B wrote:

Hi Sim Kah Young,

Try the following:
1. Open the Settings Center with, Insert + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard and then press, Control, Shift + D, to open the default all applications.
2. Down arrow to, Speech Verboscity, and press right arrow to open then, down arrow 1 time and notice which level of verboscity you're using.
3. Down arrow to, Configure verboscity levels, right arrow to open and down arrow to your level of verboscity... and press the spacebar to open.  Note:  Do not press enter on your level of verboscity, only press the spacebar because pressing enter will close the Settings Center.
4. I use the Beginner verboscity so if you use the same level make sure everything is checked except for, Control Description.
5. If you make any changes tab to, Okay, press the spacebar, again tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

If this is not what you need or doesn't fix the problem please write back and give more descriptive details of the problem you're having.

Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:45 AM

Hi all,

With the latest version of JAWS, I encounter the above problem. However,
JAWS will only read when there is no other item to open with right
arrow. Does anyone encounter this and is there a solution? Thanks.

I am using windows 8.1 with the latest JAWS version.