Re: looking for two Excel keystrokes -- if they exist

Brian Lee

Hello Robin,

If you are only using arrow keys then you are not selecting but simply navigating.  If you select by using the shift key with arrow keys or by using other selecting keystrokes then the status bar should give you the count.  When you select the cells the status bar gives other things like the average and sum of the selected range of cells along with the number of cells selected.  If this isn’t happening then use F6 to go to the status bar, press either the application key of shift with F10, and use down arrow to the “Count” item and see if it is checked.  If it isn’t checked then use enter key to add it to the status bar.  If it is checked then just escape out of the menu and use F6 to go back to the worksheet.  The items in the menu include one for “Count” and one for “numeric count.”  The “Numeric count” gives the number of cells that contain only numbers and the “Count” should give the actual number for the cells you select. 

You can use JAWS key with C to get the cell coordinates.  JAWS key with tab should give you the name of the worksheet, the contents of the current cell and the cell coordinates.

Take care.  

Brian Lee

brianllee@...

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: May 14, 2019 3:15 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: [jaws-users] looking for two Excel keystrokes -- if they exist

There are two things I miss from using Window Eyes with Excel.  I’m wondering if an equivalent exists in JAWS. 

First, Is there a way, other than to arrow away and back, to have JAWS announce the current cell coordinates?  This is particularly helpful when in the middle of typing a formula and I need to recall the current cell I’m in.

Second, I sometimes need to count a subset of rows or columns in a file.  For example, today I was looking at a list of all employees and I just needed to count out the number in a particular team.  With Window Eyes, I would start at the first cell and arrow down till the last one.  By default, Window Eyes would announce the number of columns or cells selected, depending on which way I was moving.  Is there some way to ask JAWS how many rows, columns or cells are currently highlighted?  I tried reading the status line, but that didn’t’ seem to work.

Using JAWS 2019 latest build with Windows 10 and Excel 2016.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager, Strategy & Performance Management

Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060 |  www.keyequipmentfinance.com 

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.