Re: File counting with JAWS

Chris

Hello Victor,

I don’t seem to get anything when I press insert and the page down button. I am using JAWS 2019 and windows 10. What do I need to do to turn on the status bar?

Regards

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> on behalf of Victor Gouveia <victor.gouveia@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:06:48 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] File counting with JAWS

The insert+page down command should work every time in file explorer.

It should state the number of items in the window, and how many items are selected.

The only time the read status bar does not work is in Windows Live Mail, where it only reads a line in the message currently viewed in the preview pane, but for file explorer, the insert+page down command works flawlessly.

Is it possible you do not have the status bar turned on?

Victor

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:45 PM

Correct. Sometimes it doesn’t bring up this detail.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:43 PM

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but I honestly can’t understand why you guys don’t just press insert-pgdn. Does it not work for you as it does on my machine?

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: May 15, 2019 2:42 PM

Dave:

I can’t seem to get this process to work, though, when in a sub-folder view within one of my major folders.

Just to be sure, do I invoke the Alt V followed by L and the enter sequence once the sub-folder has been opened?

Tom Behler

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of david
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:48 AM

Hi, the only way I've found to get an accurate file count is,

1, navigate to documents press enter,

you will hear not selected and then an untrue number,

2, press, alt+v=view,

3, l=list,

now press enter or the spacebar.

it, will stay true as long as the window stays open.

for some unknown reason the list feature doesn't stay checked.

The impossible is the untried,  Never under estimate the power of a dream.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adrian Spratt
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:27 AM

Chris,

You make complete sense. It’s a recognized flaw in JAWS. In some areas, it can count files accurately (think of email messages) but not in others. Rebecca, a contributor to this list, has pointed out that you can get the counts you need by bringing up Narrator. Remember, you open and close Narrator with control-Windows key-enter.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:56 AM
Subject: [jaws-users] File counting with JAWS

Hello All,

I am sorry, to ask for help with file counting with JAWS, as I have asked before, and cannot find the response I got before.

This is a recurring problem, but not all the time. I have a number of files either in a folder, or on a different drive. But the count will only go up to 33 even if there is over 100. What are the steps to get a full count?

I hope this makes some sort of sense to someone.

Regards

Chris

Join jaws-users-list@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.