Re: File counting with JAWS

Rebecca Lineberger

Mike, they are all checked.  I just checked the settings again to be sure.   As has been said, this is a known bug in JAWS.

But you’re right, this should be enough to fix the problem. Something else is going on for Narrator’s brief presence to fix it.

From: jaws-users-list@groups.io [mailto:jaws-users-list@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:08 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] File counting with JAWS

Hi Rebecca,

Try the following to see if it'll help with item count:

1. Open the Settings Center default all applications.

2. Navigate to Speech Verboscity closed and right arrow to open.

3. Arrow down to, Configure Verboscity Levels, closed and right arrow to open.

4. Press the spacebar on your Verboscity level to open and make sure, Announce Position and Count when navigating in lists, is checked, Item number, is checked and Position information is checked.

5. Tab to, Okay, press the spacebar and tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.

Take care.  Mike.  Sennt from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:59 AM

Yes, you can check the status line as you suggest to get the total number of files in a folder.  But sometimes you might want to know that a file was 150 of 300, for example, if you were trying to divide files and had only limited space left, as on a nearly full thumb drive.  Of course you could also select files and do a size check of them all under properties, but the count is just a quick way to “guesstimate” what could go where.

Also, not a criticism, but those of us who used Window-Eyes had this information at our fingertips as we arrowed down through the file or folder list.

File name, 4 of 69, file name 47 of 69, etc. We did not have to read the current line to get it.  If you didn’t want or need the count, you just arrowed through the list quickly, pressed the first letter of the file name you wanted, or just did a search.  So it was never a verbosity issue.  Narrator gives the count both in terms of the position in what’s on the screen and the position in the total number of files in the folder.