From: jaws-users-list@groups.io <jaws-users-list@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rebecca Lineberger
Sent: May 15, 2019 2:59 PM
To: jaws-users-list@groups.io
Subject: Re: [jaws-users] File counting with JAWS

Yes, you can check the status line as you suggest to get the total number of files in a folder.  But sometimes you might want to know that a file was 150 of 300, for example, if you were trying to divide files and had only limited space left, as on a nearly full thumb drive.  Of course you could also select files and do a size check of them all under properties, but the count is just a quick way to “guesstimate” what could go where.

Also, not a criticism, but those of us who used Window-Eyes had this information at our fingertips as we arrowed down through the file or folder list.

File name, 4 of 69, file name 47 of 69, etc. We did not have to read the current line to get it.  If you didn’t want or need the count, you just arrowed through the list quickly, pressed the first letter of the file name you wanted, or just did a search.  So it was never a verbosity issue.  Narrator gives the count both in terms of the position in what’s on the screen and the position in the total number of files in the folder.