Re: New JAWS 2018 user Excel Question for keystrokes to read column headings and row titles

Ann Byrne

Hurray for a solution!

One instruction that *i always forget to mention, not included in the JAWS training materials, is that for the Excel bookmark commands to work you have to go into quick settings with insert+v, to title reading, and be sure to turn off
Define Name Column and Row Titles Override

Often The bookmark settings doesn't react instantly. You have to alt+tab away and alt+tab back before it works.

go figure!

I do use it a lot, now that I know the tricks.

Ann

At 06:26 PM 8/28/2018, you wrote:
Hi Ann and List,

This has been a long and somewhat tortuous experience so I thought I should
post what finally worked best for me.

I appreciate all those who posted to this thread and I apologize if I didn't
get some of your suggestions. Like anything with computers, we often have
multiple ways to achieve the same thing and we must pick the one that works
best for us.

I ultimately settled on placing the cursor in my Excel sheets in cell A1
where the row names and cell columns intersect for the majority of my
spreadsheets. This is the cell below which are the the titles of the rows I
want spoken when moving through the sheet and to the right are the column
headings I want spoken. I then press Insert + ctrl + alt + C and JAWS
speaks setting column titles row range. I follow this with Insert + ctrl +
alt + R and JAWS speaks Setting row titles column range. I believe VFO Tech
Support or someone on this list posted these keystrokes but I missed the
necessity of having my cell cursor in the cell where the column headings and
row titles intersected. After reading the Excel Column and Row Headers for
JAWS and Magic tutorial in the FS Reader today, the necessity of this step
became apparent. Well, actually, an excellent VGO JAWS Tech Support rep
named Bill made the necessity of this step clear. Now when I move my cursor
throughout the spreadsheet, JAWS speaks the column title as I move into a
different column and the Row title when I move to a different row.

I understand that the above method doesn't transfer with the Excel sheet to
keep it accessible when sharing with another screen reader user. However,
this seldom happens with me so shouldn't be a problem. But speaking of that,
I'm hoping others can post back about what Ann calls saving row and column
title bookmarks and what I prefer to call saved range names to transport
this ability with the spreadsheet. I followed what the FS Reader tutorial
stated about saving a range name for the column headings and row titles to
be spoken but I never could get it to work either in the practice
spreadsheet or in any of my own. I understand the naming convention of Title
followed by a period followed by the range of cells to be included in the
area where you want column headings and row titles spoken. However, after
defining this Title range, I never heard JAWS speak the column headings or
row titles as I arrowed through that range as it did with the Insert + ctrl
+ alt hotkeys previously discussed. Can someone test that this really does
work and maybe give me the exact steps you do to make it work?

Thanks for your patience and for your help with this process.

Alan Lemly